Ken Hunt thread - engraving and artwork

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
890010809518044715_379561324.jpg

889953873510578056_379561324.jpg

"the basics of gun scrollwork .If you know what the best way of designing is, half the problems are solved . Seeing the best way the origins by the best & not copying debased scroll is will give you pleasure I am sure . It's not knowing what you are aiming for that is frustrating .you will then develop your own mark ."

Sam

Staff member
890560373895509763_379561324.jpg

"this was done with my own technique;I wasn't shown how to etch with nitric acid ,I bought a small bottle from a hardware shop in Carnaby Street in 1955 long before it became fashionable in the 60s .I did some practicing on small pieces ,a few cockups but persevered .I was apprehensive at times but" he who dares wins"! I wanted all that donkey work of cutting down the back ground to be over and done with quickly ,I didn't have any machines that could do it .by trial & error I did it with a brush but found putting on the resist that way too clumsy ,so I started too use a nib pen ,which gave me more freedom to produce a cleaner line .getting to resist the acid when it starts biting ferociously was a problem ,I had to creat my own resist.making sure all parts not to be attacked by acid also had to be covered In beeswax ,about 1 hour in the acid gave me the depth I needed , trimming up all rough edges & modeling up with chisels & punches, scrapers , I developed my own trademark style."

Sam

Staff member
890501941075162542_379561324.jpg

" note the design that is a trade mark of the gunmaker ;most were recognizable from a short distance . Purdey a 60! Woodward 600 ,and Hollands their large scroll design etc ,over the years this visual quality has delighted many generations of owners . Make your work that makes them drool over it in the future .

Even a die hard anti gun person can appreciate the beauty of the craftsmanship of this object !!?"

890511467732055646_379561324.jpg

"Kell engraved this , the lettering and style of the ampersand give the clue ,also the scroll & flowers

Note the quality of the outside work on the scrolls

All of this work was done without magnification and everyday commercial work ,as seen in a photo of him working"

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam/ I see that the flange cut tool has your name on it. I don't recall you explaining this tool and it's usage? Anything to share on this one. Fred

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A question on Mr. Hunt's method for fixing a gash: am I correct in assuming that he's saying you pop a set of burrs in the gash and then tap down / smooth out the area? Or...?

Yes, Marcus went over this a few years ago. You actually use a narrow graver like an onglette to put a series of VERY closely spaced burs in the scratch*, then tap, burnish, & stone it flush and re-polish. The idea is that there will be some tiny air pockets down the steel, but the surface will be smooth. Works particularly well in places that will be re-engraved over again.

*This technique is for scratches that actually removed, cut away, metal. It's not needed for the sorts of more minor slips where the graver heel has left a groove, but the metal is merely displaced, not missing.

Sam

Staff member
Sam/ I see that the flange cut tool has your name on it. I don't recall you explaining this tool and it's usage? Anything to share on this one. Fred

I was wondering that as well, Fred. I'll have to go back re-read comments Ken and I had and see if I can figure out what he's referring to.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Spitzstick for anyone wondering is in fact the same as an onglette.
A bullstick being an onglette or halfround but sharpened on the side edge not at the point ( was used to open holes for stones before the invention of ball burrs).

Had to do this in the 80's at college due lack of high tech tools..make a drill bit from a needle & use a bow drill ( remember them )?
Bullstick just off vertical in the pilot hole & twist around to open up a round hole...

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
891285190386955910_379561324.jpg

"a double rifle Rigby ,Paul Roberts workshop ;I carved this in my usual method ,with a scene of the African plains with distant game animals & a pride of lions . I loved doing this type of work as it gave me lots of pleasure sculpting big animals rather than continuous Dicky birds on shotguns .
A poor picture but can't help it"

891345568550663187_379561324.jpg

"Chequered hammers , patterns on screws ; craftsmanship to appreciate ,design gives away a continental engraver ."

891261160120431734_379561324.jpg

"here is how to make good grip chequering on parts . Keep a regular close distance between cuts making a V cut , this will make a chamfer on both sides , cross in the other direction X you gave created a series of small pyramids .hope this helps someone .
noticed an instructors demo , he did each individual scroll in one , that's OK , but if speed is wanted go through my method ; methodically cutting individual strokes as you proceed"

891403241874830783_379561324.jpg

" this is a print from a disc I engraved .A gun engravers pull"

Sam

Staff member
891918350380479639_379561324.jpg

"Gustav Young inlaid these pistols ,inspired me to emulate him , get the same passion from any good craftsmen & and the worlds your oyster ! Make a customer demand your work ."

891919519718880429_379561324.jpg

"The actual pistols of other photo"

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I think I'm not alone in saying that I would love to buy a book of Ken Hunts work.
I would second that big time I dont know if any books have been done but if someone takes this up and produces a book along the lines of the ones done on the italian engravers then I would be happy to place an order up front and think a few others may also be up for it.
A talent like Kens shouldn't go un published just my view :thumbsup:

I think your idea is a great one!:thumbsup: We can learn so much from the masters. As a self studier myself, I would also purchase books by the masters done in a similar format as this thread. The artist giving a history of his /or her work, along with pictures of work, tips, and thoughts on design. Priceless!:bow:
I've been ending each day in bed reading Rogers American engravers / studying the art work. Maybe Roger will do a biography? I too would also like to see Ken do a Café interview. Sam, let him know his fans demand it!:biggrin:

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Sam about 2 days ago Ken Hunt posted on Instagram a pic of a close up view of a side lock which VERY clearly shows inside and outside work. If possible please post this pic as I would like to put it in my KenHunt work book. I am very grateful for all of the post you have made and continue to make, Thanks for the opportunity for making this reference material available.

Sam

Staff member
890897537434957802_379561324.jpg

"notice the outside work corresponds with the interior & flows naturally"

"The difference between this scroll and the Germanic is the free flowing compared to the tight rigid regimented scrolls traditional to Austrian style scrolls"

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
View attachment 31948

"notice the outside work corresponds with the interior & flows naturally"

"The difference between this scroll and the Germanic is the free flowing compared to the tight rigid regimented scrolls traditional to Austrian style scrolls"

As an example of what Ken is referring to, here are two guns with "German" scroll. The top one is a Merkel from Germany and the other is a Franz Sodia of Austria. Both are typical of their country of origin. The Merkel is the one with the take-down lever on the sideplate. Note the difference in the way the scrolls are formed.

Attachments

• 203E-scroll--7x57&12ga-R.jpg
    203E-scroll--7x57&12ga-R.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 629
  • FRANZ SODIA #9385-R.jpg
    FRANZ SODIA #9385-R.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Spitzstick for anyone wondering is in fact the same as an onglette...

Chris is correct. Spitstick is an English corruption of the German "spitz Stichel," meaning simply pointed graver. Some engraving supply catalogs refer to an onglette as a "point" graver. German trained gun engravers do the majority of their cutting with a spitz Stichle while the rest of the Europeans and Americans mostly use the square graver.

dboles

I appreciate these images so much, I have just began with learning the art of this, and haven't even got tools yet. But everyone has been so kind and helpful in sharing information, giving advise on just taking it slow and keep drawing until I can afford a good pneumatic system. I am very humbled to be involved with such artistic abilities. And the best of all is no attitude from anyone. Every person I have spoken with has been very open and its almost as if they are as excited and overwhelmed as I am.
thank you for letting me be apart of such a beautiful art.
David

Sam

Staff member
892628296696903013_379561324.jpg

"note how crude my tools are ,rough handles ,etc .I was given 5$ by a visiting customer to by some decent ones , but they fit and you know them by touch . No sophisticated machines or scopes ,age old simple tools .just because you have a top of the range kitchen doesn't always make you a better cook from Granny with her old fashioned hob& oven .It does help to have good tools but after that you are the creator of the work ."

892191855072294468_379561324.jpg

"just step one on inlaying . Question if uncertain . If practicing you can use copper . Strip electric flex fine wire . Old fuse wire has different sizes . Or cut thin strips from sheet to cover a piece that is much wider to what you have . Some engravers put a series of wire side by side & beat together Burnish any holes together ,inspect under glass as you progress repeat burnishing to rid any defect before final stoning down"

892105232787748258_379561324.jpg

892619267333469417_379561324.jpg

"A picture of some of my tools , handles made from old broom sticks to fit nicely into my hand . Small tapping hammer for little jobs ,like taping down a burr or gold wire .note the graver taper , long steel chisel , Belgique type for hammer work , grades of gold wire ,a lining tool, bent . Dividers damascened ,thrown about with all the metal tools to see how it stood up to wear over the years also on small hammer."

892101759325222196_379561324.jpg
"I inlaid this in white gold , tough ,alloyed gold ,silver green gold"