lindsay classic palmcontrol or Grs Gravermach AT and why?

mobaiz

Hello all,

I'm interested in learning how to engrave and I've read everything I could on line and I even purchased the art of engraving book. I've read a lot of great reviews on the classic palmcontrol and that was my first choice but recently I had a well known engraverand instructor and his recommendation was to go with the gravermach at because he said that it would do more with better control and more features. So I wanted to hear from anyone that's used both units and what they like and dislike about either one. The budget is not really an issue since I've been saving up for awhile. The gravermach at seems cheaper but when you add all the hand pieces they recommend it actually cost more than the classic palmcontrol. I was told the reason I should go with the gravermach at was speed control and I'd be able to do more with it. So if anyone can provide any information I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You choose to use what you use based on what you do... plus convenience and any other limitations to your situation.
(and how much weight you want to lose - from your wallet)

I can make a living with either of them.

I have both. Plus everything else that has ever been made over the past 40+ years...

In my case, I chose the Lindsay for my personal daily use for 3 main reasons:

1. Bench space, no extra electrical hookup and less air usage.

2. I am semi-crippled, and having the stroke control on the handpiece instead of having to reach for the "box" is far more convenient to me. It's painful for me to reach out.

3. I hate the idea of having to purchase a coupla hundred collets!

Your mileage will definitely vary.

There have been hundreds, if not thousands of posts on this subject. "Tool wars"...

Everyone has a personal preference and reasons why. Now you've seen mine.

You may have plenty of benchtop space - I don't.

You probably have all of your arm/shoulder muscles - I don't.

You may not mind the collet thing - I definitely do!

But you can't go "wrong" with either. Each has little "quirks" and features that the other doesn't. Some may/will matter to one engraver and not another.

The absolute best advice ANYONE can give you - is to go and find a place to sit down and try both of them side by side.

It's a big investment, spend a few dollars for gas and some time...

Brian

Put your location up in your profile. Someone may be close by and offer you the chance to test drive one or both. Side by side is always best...

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Try both out, then make your decision.
You can read all day long about race cars, but until you get behind the wheel, it's all just talk.
My preference is Steve's PC. With the optional Tungsten piston you can inlay steel or use the standard steel piston for engraving fine lines. Plus, not having a footfeet cuts down on the number of things that you have to pay attention to.
I'm not real coordinated, so the less the better.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd suggest trying both. They both are excellent tools. In reality it's not the tool...it's the man/woman driving it. I can do the same work with either. You just have to learn how to use it to its fullest potential.

I find myself reaching for the 901 handpiece the most followed by one of the various traditional hand gravers on my bench, which includes a variety of point gravers, onglettes, and flats. And liners

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
There is world-class work being done with both of them so it just comes down to personal preference. And the truth is, you are probably going to have to engrave for a few years before you develop enough feel to know which one actually fits you the best. Just get one or the other and go to making chips!

Stewart

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Economically, the Lindsay sips a lot less air or CO2. It wins hands down in this category...

You could run the GRS tools on CO2 - if you were rich enough to order a truckload of the largest commercial tanks from a welding supply every week.

Brian

Last edited:

MrBrendan

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide about which system to buy into. The idea of replacing co2 canisters doesn't sit well with me at the moment. I have space on my desk and for a compressor, so i'm personally leaning towards GRS.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't think the GRS machines are practical for CO2 use as they consume more air than Lindsay handpieces.

The GraverMach AT can operate foot pedal or palm at the flip of a switch which I personally find very useful.

As bronc said, if you're just learning it'll be quite some time before you can really tell the difference between the two systems which are both capable of producing the world's finest engraving in the hands of a master.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
I'm in the same boat, trying to decide about which system to buy into. The idea of replacing co2 canisters doesn't sit well with me at the moment. I have space on my desk and for a compressor, so i'm personally leaning towards GRS.

Brendan,

The Palmcontrol does not have to be run on CO2, a compressor will work just as well so if you went down that path you will still have space on your bench.

Roger

mobaiz

Thanks guys for all the information. I live in Michigan and I'd be more than happy to find someone in my State to show me either or both of the units. Thanks again for all the great advice

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member

The Lindsey runs off an air compressor, or co2. The air consumption just allows for practical use of co2 and ease of portability.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually, for an experiment many years ago - Steve got one to run for a while from a birthday balloon, but only lightly - not hitting heavy.

Another time, I saw him show someone how it could idle and cut lightly on lung pressure alone...

Perhaps a professional tuba player could power one if you ran out of electric for your compressor or your CO2 cylinder went dry?

Brian

Last edited:
now that I think of it,has anyone ever tried hoocking one of those sawing machines pedals to an air pump? you might have an electricity free lindsay? provided it's palm control, otherwise you'd need one foot for the pedal...

Latest posts

Sponsors