Mr Potato Head Scroll for Lee Griffiths & all Of Idaho

Andrew Biggs

Andrew, Some of these images are enough to give me nightmares. Don't you think it would look better with a a kind, sensitive rendering of Mr. Potato Head instead of a fierce Maori face. You could even have his tongue sticking out.............Lee Griffiths

Well Lee....................you asked for it. :D :D :D

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Who is going to be the first to actually engrave it and post it? Very funny and a nice job too! :)

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
that is funny and a great shading study.
being from Idaho you have inspired me to plant potatoes in the garden this year.
that would make a great Hobo Nickel
Dave

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew that's really great LOL! Ok all, start cutting it! This would be a great contest/tutorial subject? Seeing a bunch of renditions of this would be very cool! You have scrollwork for banknote shading and the character face for bulino in either lines or dots. What more could you ask for? Andrew can you do this up in color for me? LOL color engraved Mr. Ptotatohead sounds cool!

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I move that we do it on a pair of belt buckles the size of a 56 Buick hub cap and sentance them both to wear them at the FEGA show next year. That'd be a hoot.:eek:

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
It seems that I saw a design similar to this that was being used as a figurehead on a dug out canoe. At the time the canoe was traversing the Snake River in Idaho and was being navigated by a band of disgruntled farmers known as the potato heads. They would paddle up and down the river unwittingly raiding each other’s fields. After the initial raids there were no more potatoes to be found hence they began to parish. The remaining few Potato Heads adapted to a more civilized way of life. A small number of Potato Heads have filtered into urban areas and are learning new ways to survive. They will tend to their small urban size garden, but I’ve heard that when there is a new moon out they will still get a strong urge to raid their neighbor’s garden.

Andrew your design has more of a South Pacific flavor. Probably due to the resemblance to the Sweet Potato, which was first cultivated in French Polynesia. The Polynesians also used this type of figurehead on their dug out canoes.

That’s enough history for today time to engrave.

Mike

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, That is superb. See guys, I've figured out how to get world class designers to do my designing. Let's see what can be next?.......:D

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
constructive critique

most Idaho farmers and cowboys in this part of the state wear flat large brimmed hats and would take exception to the "little fidora"portrayed in the drawing.So,to make it politically correct,try it with aflat top cowboy hat and make his moustache larger withlong handle bars.
Love the scrolls !!!!

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, i cant believe that you were "taken in " by Lee , getting you to do his designing for him !! he may have fooled you once,but not twice. Watch him, he will have you over before long to milk the cows !!!! i just had an idea, i have a wooden potatoe bin, this would really look nice if i take the woodburner and burn it into the ugly looking bin and spruce it up. grandkids would really like it, and lets face it, a scroll is a scroll !!

Last edited:

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
They call me, MR. Potato Head!

Hi all,

Since Sunday night, between bible study, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Tae Kwon Do, my real job, fund raisers and sleep, I managed the coin below. Sorry about the poor scan. Kinda spudley, don't ya think?

Joe Paonessa

Attachments

• mr potatohead.jpg
    mr potatohead.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 143

Latest posts

Sponsors