Announcement: New instructional video on The Art of Flare Cutting

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you're just learning engraving, flare cutting is going to be quite a challenge. You should probably hone your skills on basic cutting before attempting this, as removing larger amounts of metal for flare cutting requires much more graver control than lighter cuts.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
After cutting a lot of straight and curved line practise, I still have difficulties to get the graver roll symmetrical for forehand and backhand cut. This is what I tried already:

-grinding two facets on top of the graver, with the same angle as the V shape, to have an indicator for the roll angle

-changing the microscope setup such that the scope looks under 90 degree at the metal (was a lot of work and completely useless)

Neither helped much, there is still a strong tendency to roll the graver more away from me than towards me. Is there some magic trick for better roll angle control? Please do not mention the P word (practise)... I‘m learning the basics without teacher, things which are commonly known and understood to professional engravers might be news for me.

Thanks a lot

Ralf
no substitute for the "p" word !

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Just tried Sinterklas‘ suggestion. Works well for straight lines. Used on curves, it uncoverered the additional problem that cutting left bends seems more natural to me than right bends. Starting the left bend‘s backhand cut in the „Wrong“ direction makes it look as bad as a right bend...

Bildio: I‘ll try the Optivisor tomorrow, the microscope was anyway set to 15x only, it might just work. Thank you very muchfor the suggestion.

When people are taught piano beginner lessons, there are excercises for the “independance of the hands“. Is there something similiar for engravinging, like e.g. drawing something on paper mounted in the ball vise while pushing the pencil forward with the domiant hand and turning the ball vise with the other?

If you work with a ball vise on a turntable, do you grip the ball vise or the turntable when you turn it? The ball vise might sit pretty much out of center sometimes. None of my old engraving book covers that subject.

Rest regards

Ralf
there's numerous tips on scope centering. look in the tip section.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Friend Sam,
your instruction is still really top rate. As an Industrial Arts teacher for many years the proof is in the students. Your students tend to bare out the quality of the educational experience. MaryAnne is one such student-the more she learns the better teacher you are.Congratulations to both of you on learning taking place.
fred

y

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Friend Sam,
your instruction is still really top rate. As an Industrial Arts teacher for many years the proof is in the students. Your students tend to bare out the quality of the educational experience. MaryAnne is one such student-the more she learns the better teacher you are.Congratulations to both of you on learning taking place.
fred

y

Thank you Fred!

Engravedigger

I've just completed a new video on The Art of Flare Cutting. Check out the trailer below and if you're interested in ordering go to https://engraving-videos.com/dvd_catalog.html

Note: Due to covid-19 complications with the company I use for DVD manufacture, I'm not sure when I will have the retail packaged version, so this is a pre-sale. The only difference is this one doesn't have a printed jacket. The content is the same.

This is really a terrific style of engraving everyone should learn, as it cuts fast, looks great, and pleases customers. Plus mastering these types of cuts will make you a better engraver.

I ordered this DVD through GRS (as I have 2 others of yours before) this one has a "download practice designs at:" written on the back... I'm not sure if you are aware but your chosen font makes your website's "-" (dash) look a lot like a "~" (tilda)... I sure hope this doesnt cause some people to go to some random website, or have trouble finding your practice templates. Just my 2c. Thanks for quick DVD lessons BTW :)