Nickle Silver

TLP

any suggestions on working with Nickle silver, aka German Silver aka White or nickle bronze. Wanting to know how to anneal nickle silver? Also is the point geometry any different then that used on mild steel or as derived from the Lindsay templates? bought sheet from Monster Slayer which is supposed to be dead soft but it is giving me fits.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I cut a lot of German silver. I've cut it with 96 degree, and 116 degree (50 degree) face angle gravers. I have found it to be smooth cutting and then get "gritty" all in the same cut. Lindsay templates work just fine. I don't think the two metals blend equally well. (JMHO)

Remember that brass as well as nickel are what might be called abrasive metals and will dull the cutting edge , so check the cutting edge periodically so your tool doesn't dull and cause a slip.

It anneals the same as any non-ferus metal in that heat it cherry red and just allow it to air cool or you can quench it in water.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i never did a lot of the stuff, but found my usual geometries worked just fine. perhaps trying a bit of lube will make things a bit easier.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I do some nickel silver on longrifles what crazy horse said is true you never know how it will cut. Annealing first is your best bet. Monk suggested lube it helps I use a cotton ball with penetrating oil. Spray some oil on the ball and just touch the graver tip to it seems to help with the sticky on brass and german silver.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I avoid Nicole silver (or white gold for that matter) on account of so many people are allergic to nickel.

Latest posts

Sponsors