Pencil portrait

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Abigail's beautiful daughter Amanda. Pencil on Strathmore bristol vellum.

amanda_IMG_0603-sm.jpg

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I guess I need some new pencils, none of mine can do that. ;) Very nice Sam. Also wanted to let you know that I bought Corel Draw to use with the monogram system. Should have done that a long time ago.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
very nice! but i have a question: was she leaning over or were you?:thinking:

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Sam

You are a true Artist. Your artistic ability in the Engraving world is well known. However I think there are very few people who knew how Artistic you really are. I feel that drawing people and getting their very essence and detail is very hard to do. It must be exciting for you to finish a portrait like this.
I for one can see things like this in my minds eye however I cannot convey it to my hand to be able to draw at this level.
Thank you for sharing your pencil drawings with us.

Sam

Staff member
Thank you guys very much :)

Bill: Portraiture has been on my bucket list for awhile. I could draw a good likeness of a person but my goal was to draw something that I wouldn't be ashamed to hang on my wall. It's time consuming but very satisfying.

Mitch: It was a studio portrait Abigail and I shot of her leaning over her husband's shoulder and I liked the way her hair hung to one side.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Sam,

Top class work, your lines are pure and the whole work very clean! Your shading is perfect too, well done!

I used to paint portraits continuously in the 70/80s mainly to earn money to keep a young family, they were usually of children and sometimes of babies. Twice I had heartbreaking situations with regards to parents and children but I won't go into that here.

Merry Christmas.

Phil

Sam

Staff member
Thank you, Phil. Your comments mean a lot. I've not painted before (other than digital) but one day I hope too. I think I'd enjoy learning watercolor at some point.

Holiday cheers / ~Sam

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I had a message from Ken Hunt a few days ago, he's enjoying his retirement, has turned down engraving work because he loves painting which he has done for many years.

There is also another retired engraver here in the UK, you might have heard of him, John Salt, he paints beautiful watercolours and sends me one every year printed on a Christmas card.

Phil

Sam

Staff member
Sam, I had a message from Ken Hunt a few days ago, he's enjoying his retirement, has turned down engraving work because he loves painting which he has done for many years.

There is also another retired engraver here in the UK, you might have heard of him, John Salt, he paints beautiful watercolours and sends me one every year printed on a Christmas card.

Phil

I watched Ken sketch furiously in his sketchpad at Grandmasters a few years ago and I've also seen a couple of his paintings. Such talent! I'm glad he's enjoying painting in his retirement. I don't know Jim Salt but would enjoy seeing some of his watercolor paintings. Let me know if he's got a gallery online.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, excellent work. I consider portraiture to be the most difficult of all especially young ladies and children. The smooth skin is a challenge to model. Ugly old men with whiskers are considerably easier or in other words my self-portrait.

Watercolors are among my favorites. They have a unique atmosphere and mood. I've briefly dabbled and like you have a nice list of artistic pursuits I would like to try more in depth.

Well done and keep exploring.

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Lee you are not that old. You both are excellent artist in my opinion. You both have taught me allot from your Scroll drawing DVD's I try to practice every night maybe some day I will come to have 1/4 of your skills. Please keep sharing with us.

Latest posts

Sponsors