Photoshop scrollwork

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I was doodling in Photoshop this morning with a Wacom Intuos tablet. The design was first drawn in Illustrator and then brought into Photoshop for painting.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

This is too cool, talk to me! I have Photoshop CS3 and an Intuos tablet. I've never used Illustrator, what makes it different from using the drawing tools in Photoshop? Can you draw curves more smoothly? Does it have the ability to create scrolls and leaves that can be "compressed or stretched" to fit a specific design area and yet remain "true" to the classic "Nautilis" proportions? I've always wanted something that would allow me to rough-in a backbone scroll and then allow me to manipulate it within my allowed boundaries and try multiple solutions to find the best design. All this without having to redraw everytime at the light table would be great. Next, I want a program to do multiple designs and all I have to do is select the best one! (Just kidding.....well, sort of.)

Mark

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Come on now, what happen to Draw, Draw, Draw, computer doodleing ain't no draw, draw, draw...
Cut it and show it... It looks great, I just bought a Mac and I guess I need Photo Shop, Illustrator and what else Sam...
Jerry

Tezash

That is nice doodling,Sam.
I bought Wacom tablet and Corel draw 13 program six month ago, and can't draw on computer large scrols.
I spend a lots of time to figure out and stopped. I returned drawing on paper and pencil. I think it would be nice, if sombody give us a tutorial tip for computer drawing.

Thanks, Tez.

Bill Tokyo

Illustrator

I use Illustrator 10. One of the tools Illustrator 10 has is a scroll function.
I also suspect that if one starts searching around for Illustrator tools (plug ins) for drawing scrolls or
repeating patterns that you will find a whole mountain load of them. One program I am aware of is
for making repeating patterns. This is a whole branch of math called "tasselation".
With plug ins you can do some amazing work, but the creativity, as in Sam's doodle has to come
from within.

Bill

I understand that I am a begginer, but I have a good eye for what works and dont work. It is my opinion that a person could make the grey come out just like Sam's piece of work with very very careful shading. what a pretty scroll that would make!

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam that looks very nice. Do you draw the design somewhat on paper, then trace over with the tablet? I've had a tablet for a long time but never could get it to draw as smooth as an actual pencil. I don't have a Mac and as a friend of mine would say that's why. I think a description of the process would make be a nice addition to the the tips and tricks portion of Igraver.

jack

Sam: is there a full name to illustrator. Maybe a web-site i can go to. I do use adobe 7. Jack

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I picked up an small Wacom tablet and have been playing with it as a way to 'computerize' my simple designs.

I draw them with pencil and paper and then put the paper on the tablet and trace it. Only tried a couple of times so far but I believe this will work once I get a bit more practice.

The reason I want them in the computer is so I can make multiple copies and easily transfer them to the metal. It also lets me draw them larger than life and then resize. Heck, I can even do them in sections and combine them. Tracing with a tablet is the modern version of working on the ground glass of a large format camera.

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!! I feel like I'm from the stone age and you come from a planet Crypton with a Big S on your chest. Light years ahead. Sure iS Super, Sam!!

Latest posts

Sponsors