Reshaped onglettes and “John Barleycornâ€￾

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone.
I’d like to show you my reshaped onglette gravers. I used a side of an onglette for a deep beveling of scrolls. Sometimes depth of bevel can be deeper than 1.5 mm.
Usually, I use a pair of onglettes (size 1 – 5/0) with both the right and the left side sharpened.
The working side is just a little bit curved and perfectly polished. The sharpening angle depends on the hardness of the engraved metal.
90% of the jewelry making progress is piercing and engraving. I have to set up new onglettes about every six month.
It is unfortunate, but these types of gravers don’t work perfectly well for making short scrolls with my GraverMach. I use the reshaped onglettes only for hand engraving. When engraving guns and knives, I used them for the final bright cut only.
The following pictures show “John Barleycornâ€￾ – Men’s Collar Tie / Hat bend combo, as an example of really deep bright cut engraving.
I will make photos for a tutorial for a bright cut in a few days

Attachments

• Gravers1.jpg
    Gravers1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Gravers2 copy.jpg
    Gravers2 copy.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 234
  • JohnBarlycorn_1.jpg
    JohnBarlycorn_1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 261
  • JohnBarlycorn2.jpg
    JohnBarlycorn2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 259
  • JohnBarlycorn3.jpg
    JohnBarlycorn3.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 201

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Stunning (and prize winning!) work, Dmitriy. Thank you for sharing your technique with the Cafe. I have added your post to the Tips Archive for future reference. More photos and a tutorial will be a big hit!! I can't help but marvel at the amazing depth you're getting. You remove more metal in one job than most of us remove in a month! / ~Sam

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitriy,

I have tried a little deep sculpting, piercing, and filigree work. I greatly appreciate how well your work is done and how time consuming it would be. If you put together a tutorial I will be sitting on the front row. I am excited to watch you create one of your masterpieces. Bravo.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
stunning work !for maybe 30 or so years i thought my onglettes useless. umm, maybe time to change my thoughts. i'll certainly be giving your advice a try . thanks so much ! monk

Patternweldor

Hi Dimitriy Thanks for the graver shaping tutorial, it is going to be fun to give this a serious try. I really like the style of your jewelry. Great beautiful work.

Thank you again for taking your time to show this!

Chris

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dimitriy,

Wonderful design and execution. Very helpful tutorial on the gravers. My question is out of general curiosity. When do you decide to do all this elaborate pierce-work as opposed to doing a wax-up and casting, then finish with gravers? Are there aesthetic considerations? Does pierce-work produce "cleaner" products than castings? It just seems more efficient to wax and cast and then engrave. In any case your work is flawless!

Mark

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Dimitriy,

Wonderful design and execution. Very helpful tutorial on the gravers. My question is out of general curiosity. When do you decide to do all this elaborate pierce-work as opposed to doing a wax-up and casting, then finish with gravers? Are there aesthetic considerations? Does pierce-work produce "cleaner" products than castings? It just seems more efficient to wax and cast and then engrave. In any case your work is flawless!

Mark

Thanks Mark. To answer your question- I hate working with wax :) but also, it's actually easier and faster for me to do it on the metal. But yes, I believe that the quality is better with piercing and engraving rather then with wax carving.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitriy,
I was looking through a 2006 issue of Lapidary Journal and saw your John Barleycorn buckle set featured showing the recognition it was awarded. Excellent work and well deserved.

Peter

Latest posts

Sponsors