Announcement: Sad news

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
My name is Matthew Dorr and I am Michael Puleo's best friend and the one who set him up on this website (hence my ability to sign on with his name).

Michael passed away on Sunday January 18th. He was 41 years old. He began engraving a few years ago and was quite a talent. He has showed his work here, made friendships here, and was even expected in Reno on the 22nd for the course. I thought he would be happy to know that I shared this news with his new friends.

We are looking at donating his engraving tools and creating a scholarship in his name and could use some help. I am not an engraver, but am working with his estate. Please email me at: mdorr65@cs.com with any questions or help with his gear.

All the best
Matt

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Matt: We are stunned and saddened by the passing of Mike. I can hardly believe it. Please give our best to Carrie and his family. If I can assist you please drop me an email.

~Sam & Abigail

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am sadden and will miss mikes input to this community-When I read this terrible news I went and reread his threads and posts- he came quit some distance and his questions, insights and answers were always thoughtful and caring as well as helpful-He will be missed-my best wishes to Carrie and the rest of the family-Fred

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Matt again:

I received an email with an offer for some of his things. I want to clarify that I believe that he would have wanted his things donated to one of the shcools where he learned. I am not trying to sell his things, I just may need some direction on who to contact to make the donation.

Thanks you
Matt

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I took a basic course with Michael back in April of 07 w/ Rex. He was a very nice person and fun to be around. I am certian he will be missed as much at home as he will be missed here. Take care Michael, Seth

wdale.bass

I took a layout class this summer with Mike. What a neat guy that wasnt one to hold back anything he had learned with a "new" guy to the Steel engraving world. He will be missed by anyone that knew him.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm shocked at this news, I taught Mike in my English Scroll class last year and he came across as a really nice guy and as someone who really had a love for the craft and was a great student.

Please extend my sincere sympathies to his family and friends at this sad time.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am also SHOCKED and saddened by the news. As I was reading the post I began thinking....that name sounds familiar. I was also in Marcus's English Scroll class which Michael attended.

He was progressing well and was a nice guy who seemed to love life. I remember he had some plans to do some fishing in conjunction with the class at GRS.

I am very sorry to hear the news and extend my condolences to Mike's family and friends.

Peter

LahtiM39

Like a few others I met Mike in Marcus Hunt's english scroll class. He was a pleasant person to talk with. We are all diminshed by his passing. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Tom

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What sad and tragic news to hear of the untimely passing of a fellow artisan. I will say a prayer for him and his family in church this morning.

Matt,

Would it be possible to post a link or scan of Mike's obituary? Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Roger

diane b

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I'm just stunned by this news. I sat beside Mike during an intermediate engraving class at GRS this summer. I had just taken Tira's beginning engraving class two months before, so I was running to try and keep up with everyone else who had a minimum of at least 2 years experience in engraving. Mike was so generous with his time in letting me look at his work and ask him questions. He was in love with his family and with life. This is so sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Diane

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another one of Mike's classmates from the Intermediate class last summer.

Shocking and sad news. My deepest condolances to the family.

If you search the gallery for the keyword "puleo" you'll find some of his work here, like this keyfob

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
I didn't know Mike but am saddened by the loss of a fellow engraver. It sounds like he was of the finest sort & surely will be missed by many. May God bless his soul.

Latest posts

Sponsors