Shading challenge

shonn

well i tryed out the engraving of the "Backwards C" today here is my results.
the C i did is around 2 inches big.on a old metal box my mom had laying around.her name is Carla( later i will put " arla" ) into the image

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

You of course realize that we all cut and drew the letter backwards so as not to bring attention to your dyslexic initial posting! Actually, I was trying to determine if it was some sort of "artsy" form of "J" but couldn't decide. I figured you knew what you were doing (and you did!), it was just too much for us right brain/left brain synaptically challenged students! But, it was still a fun exercise. Thanks.

Mark

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mark: I posted it in reverse for transferring. No problem though...it's an exercise and it doesn't matter which way it faces. I'm really pleased with all the results. Maybe we should do this more often. I did it once before, but this time there was much more enthusiasm and discussion, which is exactly what I was looking for.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Here's my go at it. I'm not really satisfied with it and it seems that I must redo it sometime in the future. Creating those middle grays in shading is right now the problem for me.

Thank you Sam very much for this excellent exercise, it shows really well where and what I lack in skill!

Attachments

• shadin_excercise.jpg
    shadin_excercise.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 213

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts,

Great job! Nice and clean cutting! Great photo too. I can't get that kind of sharpness with my zoom lenses. What camera/lens combination are you using?

Mark

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for starting this thread. This is good practice. Plus it's a C and I can put it to good use:) I engraved this on a penny rolled out. This penny should have been annealed it was a bit flaky in spots. I think I'll cut this again on steel.

Attachments

• C.jpg
    C.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 161

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mark!

This photo was taken with Canon EOS 5D and Canon 100/2.8 macro lens. I really love that combination.

Viljo

Vilts,

Great job! Nice and clean cutting! Great photo too. I can't get that kind of sharpness with my zoom lenses. What camera/lens combination are you using?

Mark

russ

I'm curious how long it's taking people to do this project. How long should it take?

Good Job everyone!

Russ

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
you need to figure out how to work around that locked vise issue

these areas you have trouble overlapping
try cutting from the opposite direction - start slowing down before the end of the cut
if the lines have an overlap under the scope and you are doing your best to start withthe point dead on
perhaps heel is too long and graver angle to shallow
that would allow the heel to sit on the metal and cut a very short line rewards berfore you actually engage power its easy to get a back cut that way - especially if you have the idle cranked up too high

again - because you have the vise locked down flat - its difficult to see what the graver is doing
in those areas where you consistantly have trouble put a little angle on the vise and then lock it down, compensate withthe graver as necessary.

i know you have phyisical limitations and pain issues to deal with but a major percentage of the engraving comes from moving the ball and just rocking the graver left or right. I would say 99 percent but some would take issue with that.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
It took me 2.5 hours, but I've no idea how long it should take :). I believe experienced engravers do this twice as fast and three times better.

I'm curious how long it's taking people to do this project. How long should it take?

Good Job everyone!

Russ

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It took me 2.5 hours, but I've no idea how long it should take . I believe experienced engravers do this twice as fast and three times better.
I'm with you Viltz. Your shading looks great and all the others that participated. It's interesting to see others perspective of the same outline.

maryw

TAYLORS, SC (BETWEEN GREENVILLE & SPARTANBURG
Oh WOW Vilts!!!!! How beautiful - and no matter how inexperienced my eye for engraving may be - you must know this is just breathtaking! Right - all you super great masters of engraving???? This really is a 'thing of beauty'. Congrats!!

Mary W

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
give me time
sister is dying of brain cancer and i am juglinga lot of balls at one time
we already did the remove the tumor bit chemo and radiation
got a 6 month break and now brain cancer
this wiill be over soon according to the docs she is not going to make it very long
so needless to say i havent been doing much but type while covering all th bs papers and filings on the net
heck i havent even cut a coin in a couple of weeks
all the projects are on hold till she passes
ill try and get something
maybe i can cut it on a brass pen blank
that would be a little more fun
maybe people will like to see your art on a curve
then we can go from there

sorry for the delay
but that life in denver

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your sister, Steve. Best wishes to you and your family during this difficult time.

shonn

Sam
Do you have the full alphabet?
Those are really nice letters. I would love to have A-Z I may need them someday for more practice .

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I join with "We want Sam! We want Sam!". And please let us know how long it takes for you to engrave such piece, it'd be nice to know

Mary and Zernike, thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you like it. Obviously more than myself, maybe I'm too critical about it myself because I was there when all those mistakes happened and saw it under scope too.

The height of the letter is 2.5cm (1 inch) and I didn't use any ink.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
That was fun - Thanks

First of all let me say thanks to all of you for the wonderful kind and caring remarks.

I goofed around with this letter project today. I didn't feel much like messing with engraving or carving but I kind of figured Sam was on my butt to put up or shut up and probably the rest of you would think I was slackin off too. So I took a little chill time and just messed around with one of Sams so very cool designs.

The backwards C didn't do much for me but the S well being named Steve what can I say. So here it what it looks like after about an hour in steel plate with a couple of flat gravers and a bit of diamond.
I took poetic license and didn't follow the design exactly hoping not to get get nailed for copyright infringment.

I still prefer sissy nickel metal and ivory but this might be fun on a spiderco.

I didn't mess around doing a transfer. Transfers in my style of work are ok but they vaporize in a very short time as the carving begins and obliterates everything.

I just do a minimal layout of the general mass and let her rip keeping the object in sight or in mind. While this is an ok technique for me some people tend to freak out when the lines go away. There are times I do too.

This could have gone a lot farther and cleaner but since I cut it big enough for you to see how I would go about knocking out a letter like this and some of the cuts involved I think I am just going to throw it on the shelf and save it for another day.

I have to finish some other projects but I just wanted to say thanks, this was enough of a project for me to pull my head out of the sand and get things going again.

Now I can be just like the rest of the crowd and say come on Sam, your turn.

Again Thanks All...

SLE
1.jpg

2.jpg

carve2.jpg

undercut.jpg

dunenuff.jpg