Critique Request Some letters drawn

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Looks good, well done.
I'm no expert on lettering but it looks like the spacing between between the C and the R in
Ashcraft could use a little help, Might just be a combination of these two letters being next to each other.
Maybe Sam or or Mike Dubber or Andrew Biggs can chime in.
They and others are great great letterers.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
not bad, but the "a" is way too tall to my eye. a bit on the skinny side as well.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Get a good book on calligraphy (or watch the many videos available on YouTube) and learn the basics of spacing and structure for lettering. It's more complicated than most people think.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
T. G. III, You have some good books.
In addition the Art Monograms & Lettering by Bergling, ISBN-0-910222-02-9, is another one to keep an eye out for.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very nicely done. Maybe a tweak on the uppercase A and you're good to go.
Dr. Joe Vitollo did an excellent tutorial on script letter drawing which you can find in the Archives. It's an incredible wealth of information, and trust me when I say Dr. Joe has forgotten more than most of us will ever know about lettering.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
Sam thank you for stopping in, really do appreciate this site and those that so willingly share their knowledge.

More material to digest, thanks again for the link.

T.G.III

T. G. III, You have some good books.
In addition the Art Monograms & Lettering by Bergling, ISBN-0-910222-02-9, is another one to keep an eye out for.

John, my above post is a bit mis leading in that the pictured references are but a few of the overall resource materials, those pictured most specifically deal with lettering, purchased all of the Bergling material from a college resource.

Back to the pencil paper and eraser

Thanks again.

T.G.III

Thanks again Monk.

Do appreciate the interest in this again, have been busy drawing and cutting during all of this exaggerated flu panic. Cutting enough to form a callous on my index digit from the tool bit.

Latest posts

Sponsors