Strange e-mail

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's a shame someone would stoop that low to say he has cancer to get something free if it's not true. What's worse in these times common sense tells you the guy is scamming and he probably is. I don't think something engraved cures cancer anyway. I think if I had cancer that would be the last thing on my mind as Eddi says.

About those credit card bills just send them to me and I'll take care of them for you guys:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I know that it may seem stupid to some but after the 9-11 I did receive some legitimate request for free engraving for firefighters and such (I had the address of the fire house and phone number), to commemorate fallen friends, etc. So I was not so surprise by the request and I wanted to find out about its legitimacy before to pass judgment.
It is not for me to judge of the appropriateness of the desire, if it seems to be a sincere request I may do it if not ...... To tell you the true I prefer to work for free for individual with a need than for the NRA which has no appreciation what so ever for what we (engravers) give them.
I am sure that some of you do know what I am speaking about.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
I have parents and their children come to my jewelry shop and ask if I can donate some money so their child can go to Baton Twirling Computation, Ball Games in or out of state, and a number of other functions...
I do donate items for local groups for special events, But not to ones I don't know...

I did send all my bank info to Niagara... WOW...
I guess I should be getting an email from strangers any day...
Can hardley wait...

Scott my address is on it's way... Don't leave home without it...
JL Seymour

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Jerry: Uh, I think we have a small problem here. I sent my bank and credit card info to that guy in Nigera a few weeks ago, and I'm expecting a deposit into my account any day now. I hate to say it, but that's MY $5,000,000.

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Send 'em something and in less than a week it's on ebay with a 200$ minimum bid -- an authentic (fill in name) original engraving . . . but, they use it to pay the hospital bills. :rolleyes:

Santo

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=437628
this person is hitting artists too

look at the message properties
check the headers
bet it tracks back to nigeria or someone in contact with them

it seems to be the wave- they have worn out the asking for money trick so now they are going after hard goods.

this is a thread worth reading - there are lots of issues now with out of country funds bouncing
too many crooks - not enough artists

the only bonafied true email you should respond to is one that says
send your check to the steve ellsworth retirement fund

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Get Them

I could think of alot of things to say and they would call me a --------- but we are alot smarter than some people in Africa that pray on people around the world...
A reverse stinge would be easy to hookup with help from a group of us smart enought to plan and get their check or cash First...
Greed is their worse weakness...
I have thought about opening a bank account with the knowledge of my banker and work these people and get the info needed to deal a blow to their scam... Got any Ideas???
Paul Newman did it in one of his movies with the bookies on horse racing when they set scan to beat the big boys...
Something to think about when nothing else to think about
Jerry JL Seymour

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's a website out there dedicated to the folks who do stings of these creeps.
Google can probably find it.

Swede

There's a website out there dedicated to the folks who do stings of these creeps.
Google can probably find it.

Sounds like you're thinking of the Nigerian "419" scam. I got one of those via snail mail, which is a dubious honor to say the least. There is a group taking revenge upon some of them by playing along and forcing the scammers to jump through all sorts of hoops. It's quite funny but there's some coarse language: 419 scammers

As for the original request, I agree that 98% of these are heartless frauds, which is such a shame, as there are occasional real pleas that then go unanswered.