Announcement: Successful Jewelry Engraving instructional video by Sam Alfano

jack

video

Great video Sam. I cast some silver rings today to practice on and mounted some brass to play the cuts on. Thanks again for putting this together. Jack

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks, Jack. I'm really anxious to see some examples from the chapter on sculpting. If you try it post us some pics. :)

Sam

Staff member
I should also mention that my DVD's are available from FEGA.com. Not only mine, but a variety of other excellent instructional videos.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Sam gave me an advanced copy of this video to veiw. I will tell you that the quality is excellent. He makes the demos very clear and easy to follow. A person should be able to learn quickly, and be able to start using these patterns in no time. Great job Sam! Chris

Patternweldor

Hello Sam,

I received your jewelry engraving DVD today and I really enjoyed watching it. The different styles were explained in a very clear and concise manner, I feel this video would benefit the beginner or the well seasoned professional in achieving their goals and adding new dimensions to their work. The amount of nice tips and tricks that you included are an extra benefit.

I wish to Thank You for taking the time to produce this great video, it will be a great help to me in my work, and I think many other engravers will have a lot of fun with this.

Take Care and Thanks!!
Sincerely,
Chris H.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Got your video today Sam and loved it. Camera work is great , sound good, and the engraving information is outstanding. The information shown is not just for the jewellry engraver. Every tip given and design cut can be used in many fields of the engravers work. Great job, this is one dvd that will get plenty of play. Thank you for making it available, a big thumbs up.:thumbs up:
Eric

Sam

Staff member
Got your video today Sam and loved it. Camera work is great , sound good, and the engraving information is outstanding. The information shown is not just for the jewellry engraver. Every tip given and design cut can be used in many fields of the engravers work. Great job, this is one dvd that will get plenty of play. Thank you for making it available, a big thumbs up.:thumbs up:
Eric

Thanks, Eric! Mind if I use your comments on my page?
So glad you're enjoying it. / ~Sam

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thought I had posted this earlier but I seem not to have done so.
Therefore:
Hey Sam, I just previewed your new DVD. It arrived while I was on the road.
The graphics are really good and your cautions about certain procedures are very helpful for a novice like me.
It’s so good that I want to drop everything and try out some of procedures; but being a professional I’m going to first finish the work my customers paid me to do.
Which reminds me, the one suggestion I would like to make would be for you to tell how many hours you spend on each of these. For example if you did a double running leaf border on an entire ring how long did you spend to accomplish the job..

I want to do this on a ring and I think I’ll be able to with help from your new DVD. My point here is that I’m a jeweler and a beginning engraver. I don’t want to charge my customer by the hours it took me. I want to do it right which means I’ll spend more hours on the same task than you would.
I want to charge by the number of hours it takes a professional like yourself. I hope that I’ll get up to speed at some point; but I don’t want to charge for practice. I know there are variables according to location etc.; but the number of hours gives me a realistic benchmark. The number of dollars is not relevant but the number of hours is.
Another thing, your sculpting section solved a major problem for me. I’ve had a design for a broach sketched out for some time wondering how I would accomplish the work. I had in mind traditional chasing and repousse.
After watching the DVD I see that I can do it using gravers and those punches you made up. So much simpler!
Of course there’s many a slip between lip and . . . ; but I’m jazzed to give it a go. I’m going to do it in copper before I do it in 22K. It’s an oval shape with a center stone of amethyst that I cut from beautiful rough, and a double line border just right for a running leaf.
Talk about letting your mouth overload your . . .
Kevin P.

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
video

wow i dont know how i missed this post i just saw the preview it looks amazing. Sam can i just send you a check or pay over the phone with a CC?

Matthew

Sam

Staff member
Kevin: Your suggestions are well taken. Thanks. I can do a double leaf design on a ring in less than an hour unless the job calls for crazy shading or something out of the ordinary. Same with a running wheat border. In a couple of hours I can do all three sides of a band. Sometimes less if I push.

Keep us posted if you try the sculpting. Cheers / ~Sam

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I'll take some photos as I go through the process. After I posted I began to realize how many details would be involved that one cannot foresee; but I guess it's all about problem solving.
In any case your process of sculpting in your video was an 'Aha!' moment; that along with Weldon's articles in "The Engraver" offers some opportunities for those of us who do jewelry. It's interesting how some techniques in one area flow over into another. It's a matter of scale.
Thanks again for the DVD.
Kevin P.

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
video

Sam

i got the video today. thank you very much. i watched it with my kids tonight. they love scrolls.

the video is better than i imagined it to be. it is worth 10x the price.

thank you again.

i will probably watch it 5 more times this week

Matthew

Latest posts

Sponsors