Announcement: Successful Jewelry Engraving instructional video by Sam Alfano

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam

i got the video today. thank you very much. i watched it with my kids tonight. they love scrolls.

the video is better than i imagined it to be. it is worth 10x the price.

thank you again.

i will probably watch it 5 more times this week

Matthew

Wow! Thank you, Matthew! I appreciate your kind words. :)

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, one more suggestion. Make a DVD on shading.
And I'll take some photos of my adventures in sculpting.
Kevin P.

Sam

Staff member
Kevin: I'm hoping my upcoming scrollwork drawing DVD will help with shading, but one on doing it with a graver would be good. The problem with videos is the amount of time they consume to record, edit, ect. In the mean time, check out my YouTube video on shading. It's not instructional per se, but several minutes of close-up video of shading scrollwork.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, do you have an idea when this scrollwork DVD might get shipping ready?

If it's before Christmas, then I know what I want from Santa - two Alfano DVD's. If it's after, then I have to convince him that not only Christmas is a good time for gifts :).

Having seen your sharpening video, I'm sure both DVDs will be excellent.

Kevin: I'm hoping my upcoming scrollwork drawing DVD will help with shading, but one on doing it with a graver would be good. The problem with videos is the amount of time they consume to record, edit, ect. In the mean time, check out my YouTube video on shading. It's not instructional per se, but several minutes of close-up video of shading scrollwork.

Sam

Staff member
Vilts: It's unlike that it will be ready before Christmas. If not, then early in January. I'll let you know, and thanks for your interest. :)

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is another fine video put out by The Alfano Studio. Clear crisp video with some great demonstrations to jump start a beginner and excellent tips for the professional.

Sam; There may be a career in cinematography for you. Can't wait to see the scroll video. Remember whats long and boring to the average Joe is enjoyable for us weirdo's that sit at a bench all day:)

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Mike. And you make good points about being weird. You don't have to be weird to enjoy this kind of work, but it helps!
~Sam

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam,
I got mine in last week and its a great source of great techniques on one dvd :beerchug:
Could you tell me why you called the flare cut "lumenesque" ? Is it so much different?
Still very good dvd :thumbs up:

Sam

Staff member
Hi Daniel. The cuts are definitely flare cuts or western cuts only in miniature. It's the arrangements of those cuts which make up the miniaturized scrollwork which I named Lumenesque. Actually Abigail named it. It's her favorite pattern for rings. :)

Glad you like the dvd!

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Okay, Thanks Abigail, I like it very much too:tiphat:
Great to see how you work Sam.
On the transfering dvd i really love the last few minutes as it shows how you draw you design in. Makes it looks easy and has some very nice pointers.
Thanks for your dvd's. It will make me a better todler or even an engraver yet :banana:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry for bringing this up again, i have to point out a little but important thing right here.

Sam - you did a very good video. It is worth to wait for it (at last mine arrived today) and it is much more worth than it costs. So thank you doing this, even i know, how much work and time such records needs.

Now the thing i'd like to point out:
I am a traditional goldsmith and practice the "old world techniques" - that means, i use forged and milled precious metals on my bench prior. Today in this business the majority of pieces in jewelry are casted because it is much cheaper. A casted piece can't give you the quality surface like a milled or forged piece. Experienced engravers know, what i mean. If you do an engraving, especially sculpting on a piece of jewelry (and not only jewelry!), you do a kind of upgrading the material, not only the design. You make the material better, you make it ruggedized because of the mechanical shaping/forming!

In summary a "by hand" sculpted design stays longer than a casted one (and it is even more beautiful).

Again, thank you Sam and i hope you come out with more of this!
Mario

Sam

Staff member
Thanks for pointing out that valuable information, Mario. I'm glad you like the video!
Cheers / Sam

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
I am a traditional goldsmith and practice the "old world techniques" - that means, i use forged and milled precious metals on my bench prior. Today in this business the majority of pieces in jewelry are casted because it is much cheaper. A casted piece can't give you the quality surface like a milled or forged piece. Experienced engravers know, what i mean. If you do an engraving, especially sculpting on a piece of jewelry (and not only jewelry!), you do a kind of upgrading the material, not only the design. You make the material better, you make it ruggedized because of the mechanical shaping/forming!

In summary a "by hand" sculpted design stays longer than a casted one (and it is even more beautiful).

Totally agree with Mario. :thumbs up:

Well Santa came thru and put Sam's jewelry engraving DVD in my stocking like I hoped he would, Hurray! This video is the perfect way for you to see a variety of techniques and watch up-close exactly how they're done, all in one place. I was totally mesmerized by the relief & sculpting sections. After attempting some of that using the chasing hammer and micro chasing tool method, seeing how this can be done with pneumatic tools was a joy to watch.

Thank you Sam, for sharing some of your skills & knowledge and presenting them so clearly & beautifully.

CaroL

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Sam, when can we ready our wallets for the next DVD release? :)

Vilts: It's unlike that it will be ready before Christmas. If not, then early in January. I'll let you know, and thanks for your interest. :)

Sam

Staff member
Shouldn't be too much longer, Vilts. I've been really busy with some other things and haven't had time to complete the editing. I appreciate your interest :)

Carol: Thanks for your kind words, and I'm happy you like the video. I apologize for not seeing your response until today. :)

Latest posts

Sponsors