Tom White hone + GRS dual angle sharpener question

AliM

I have a Tom White diamond power hone and have just gotten the GRS dual angle sharpener.
I have used the GRS sharpener in the past with a GRS hone, and the magnetic post for the sharpener held well to the top of the hone.
With my Tom White hone there is a black plastic platform on the top of the hone that is preventing the magnetic post of the GRS sharpener from sticking to the top of the hone, does anyone have experience using this combo together and have any advice?

Thanks!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
get some thin sheet metal and cut to size. make sure it's flat and epoxy same to the sharpener platform.

AliM

get some thin sheet metal and cut to size. make sure it's flat and epoxy same to the sharpener platform.
Will creating a permanent metal platform be bad for if I still use the Lindsay templates sometimes on top of it? I was assuming the plastic was there to prevent wear on the Lindsay template from running across metal.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Will creating a permanent metal platform be bad for if I still use the Lindsay templates sometimes on top of it? I was assuming the plastic was there to prevent wear on the Lindsay template from running across metal.
It will change the geometry slightly to the Lindsey templates depending on the thickness of the metal sheet, the measurement from the top of the hone to the plastic rest is a 1/2 inch which is what the templates need to achieve proper angles and what the Tom White hone was originally designed for.
I also have a T.W. and GRS dual angle, I just place it on the rest when I use it and set it aside when I’m not and I can still use templates when I want.

pkroyer

still use the
You could use double stick tape to attach a metal platform. Use a little heat to remove it if you don't like it. I jury rigged a variable speed reversable hone from a small wood lathe and used double stick tape for the platform and it has held with no problem.
I have a old GRS single speed, one direction hone that works great. The addition of variable speed and reversibility just adds two more decisions to make.

Travis Fry

I'll probably go with double stick tape, but have also considered embedding magnets in the existing plastic piece to allow easier and cleaner attachment of the metal plate. If the plastic part is easily removable and reattachable, setting the magnets from the back so that they rest just under the top surface would be ideal.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Went to the hobby shop and got different thicknesses of styrene to use as spacers.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I purchased TW power hone and still have my GRS dual angle fixture and would like know the distance between the disk & the table so I can use the GRS fixture. J.J.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It will change the geometry slightly to the Lindsey templates depending on the thickness of the metal sheet, the measurement from the top of the hone to the plastic rest is a 1/2 inch which is what the templates need to achieve proper angles and what the Tom White hone was originally designed for.
I also have a T.W. and GRS dual angle, I just place it on the rest when I use it and set it aside when I’m not and I can still use templates when I want.
Shouldn’t be a problem because the height of the stone is adjustable on the Tom white hone.

monk

Staff member
grs doen't matter. the lindsay simply requires .5" to perfectly match the templates.the grs simply moves up & down vertically on the post and therefore maintains your chosen angle. .j. miller got it right

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
grs doen't matter. the lindsay simply requires .5" to perfectly match the templates.the grs simply moves up & down vertically on the post and therefore maintains your chosen angle. .j. miller got it right
Correct, it would be nice to use the magnetic base but not necessary to sharpen your gravers…

monk

Staff member
if tha t's a worry to you give it a couple coats of clear lacquer. the sheet metal will alter the geometry of the lindsay but the change will be miniscule. .5" minus say .020" will be very slight. \

Travis Fry

Correct, it would be nice to use the magnetic base but not necessary to sharpen your gravers…
Got my TW unboxed and running yesterday. The magnets on the bottom of my Apex post pull well enough through the plastic that I'm likely never going to add a metal sheet. Just in case anyone was wondering.

AliM

Thank you everyone!
I think I will try getting a sheet of steel to lay on top of the plastic first.

I also contact TW directly and this was the response in case anyone is curious:

"I had to do some research on this as the dual angle fixture I had before I sold it had a heavy steel plate base with no magnet.
I believe that the magnet base is a newer version of the post.
I asked a couple of users and they said they hold the base stable with one hand and manipulate the head with the other.
I'm not sure the base is intended to hold it in place while actively sharpening but rather to keep the top heavy unit from tipping over.

The plastic is held on with a very aggressive adhesive and perhaps some shims to make the needed ½” height for the templates and adjust the alignment of shaft to case surface.

If you pry on it you may destroy the perpendicular alignment between the top surface and the shaft which could be render the machine not usable with any fixture as they all require this alignment to work correctly.

If you do get this misaligned it is not something you can remedy at home and may require a new case, I had one other user bend the case so badly that I could not fix it.

Let’s see if we can think of another way.

• Perhaps get some ½” heavy fender washers and stack them on the rod to give the base more weight
  • Get a steel plate to set on the plastic for the magnet to hold on. (likely the safest and most secure)
  • The older ones had a heave steel rectangular base, it was heavy."

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
You dont need the magnet! I made my own powerhone. And made the case out of stainless steel. So the magnet doesn't work on it. Just keep 1 hand on the base and 1 on the head. And your good to go.

Sponsors