Question: web page name?

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
:party:
Yup I am losing my full time job, Bobcat is closing the plant in my town.
So I thought I better get a web page up and try to go engraving full time again--last time was about 24 years ago!
So my ? is. If I come up with a web page ----does the name have to be registered as a domain name? No body is using it now, it is the company name I have been using for years on the legal stuff---- taxes etc.

Or should I use my last name+engraver? [ Hoechstengraver.com ]

PS Thanks to Sam I plan on using Pbase as the web server.

Any help will be appreciated.

PS I am grateful that this forum has spell chedk , othrewise it wood maek me loko
like an dumming

:banana:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You'll do best on the search engines if you have 'engraving' or 'engraver' in the domain name. Using terms that people search for will certainly be to your advantage.

~Sam

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
:yes

Thanks Sam, I did sign up with Pbase for a trial.
But it looks like it will have the Pbase.com/ tag on it --
I asked the ? if it will be a " domain registered " web sight but have not received an answer yet from Pbase. Maybe you will know that answer.

Thanks

Sam

Staff member
Oh, ok. I misunderstood. If I were you and really serious about a website for my business, I would register my own domain name, pay for hosting, and build a website. pBase is good, cheap, and easy to use, but it will not rank in the search engines nor look as professional as your own dot com domain name.

I use NameBargain.com to register my domains and pair.com to host all of my sites.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
:shock:

I am usually misunderstood, I am used to it!

Allso I am not paranoid------ but everybody thinks I am.

Thanks again for your help.

:tiphat:

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
I have been using jumpline.com for years with good support. You will have your own domain. Good luck

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you need to have something memorable that relates to what you are doing, so you need engraving or or engraver in the name as Sam suggested. You need to have something that is distinctive that relates to you, normally a name. However, your name, like mine is something that most people can't spell or remember fully, so maybe an abbreviation is in order. What about Hengraver? and use a logo with a hen outline? Just a thought.
thats how I ended up with http://pilkguns.com/

tbear

Metalchipper,
Ii have been using Pbase for awhile now. You can do the web page(s) anyway you want if you know CSS or have someone else do it for you. I have a friend where I get my computer goodies from and he hosts my web site name. I have a web name that I had him host and he also has a way of forwarding it so it goes straight to Pbase.
www.terryvhaslett.com
It cost's me $60.00 a year for him to do all of this and it only cost's me $23.00 a year for Pbase. Just a thought.
T

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yahoo's Small Business Hosting gives you unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, and some handy tools for about $30 / month. Domain registration is something they set up but don't actually handle themselves - Melbourne IT down in Australia does that.

Unlimited storage lets you have as many pictures as big as you want.

Unlimited bandwidth lets people actually look at the big versions if they want to.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Definitely register the domain name because then it's yours to keep as long as you pay the very small sum for it every few years. With a good host you'll also be able to link email addresses to it as well which means if you change your ISP for example you still have a web mail address (which also looks far more professional than say a Hotmail address).

I don't know about the rest of you guys but unless I'm really after something specific I don't really like websites built from d.i.y. templates. There are so many dodgy scams going on nowadays and the websites that use them tend to be of the 'easy build' variety. If I see the site has been built professionally and the owner has gone through the trouble and expense it instills a little more confidence. Plus, I'm sorry to say it, but to me a lot of the templated sites are just bland, boring, and uninteresting even if they do have some great stuff like.

Remember, you are establishing a business and image is important. It doesn't have to be ultra slick to be a good website either. Just something with some imagination. I was all for creating my second website myself but my wife persuaded me to part with a few hundred pounds to a graphic designer who was just starting out in web design. Believe me it was worth it because my first site took many weeks to build and as long again to tweak. I plan to have another go sometime, as I like messing with computers, but as a hobby thing where time doesn't matter. A professional designer will probably save you money in the long run plus if it's a business you can probably get some back against your taxes.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
:party: It is a party

Thank you for all your help. I registered the domain TheHandEngraver.com at "NameBargain.com " for about $10/year.

Thought I made a page on their free soft ware but I guess I did not save it!:mad:

I need I nap, been setting in front of this computer since 5 am and should get back to engraving before the rust gets too thick on the gun parts. :big grin: :just kidding:

Sam

Staff member
TheHandEngraver.com is an EXCELLENT domain name! Congratulations!
You should probably register .net and .org while you can.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
Is NameBargain.com a place just to register a domain name? In other words, are you the sole owner once this is done so you can go where you want with it? I have heard other sites allow registering cheap but then you must have your site with them.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Most domain name registrars give you the ability to manage DNS such as e-mail forwarding and URL forwarding. Whether they offer site hosting or not.

ie: myengravingbusiness.com ---> myweb.earthlink.net/joeuser

Just about everyone with Internet access gets a bunch of space with their account. Forwarding the domain name to your personal web space provided by your ISP will work. When you set up the forwarding, be sure to select the option to "pass subdirectories". This will "trick" the search engines by passing the requested subdirectories on your personal web space to the registered domain name that it is being forwarded to.

Search engine ratings are not just based on the domain name and index page (and tags) but also the associated content in the subdirectories/pages it is linked to.

This is the most inexpensive way for someone to get started. Provided your ISP doesn't use annoying popups and advertising, it will look like the real deal.

Last edited:

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Most domain name registrars give you the ability to manage DNS such as e-mail forwarding and URL forwarding. Whether they offer site hosting or not.

ie: myengravingbusiness.com ---> myweb.earthlink.net/joeuser

Just about everyone with Internet access gets a bunch of space with their account. Forwarding the domain name to your personal web space provided by your ISP will work. When you set up the forwarding, be sure to select the option to "pass subdirectories". This will "trick" the search engines by passing the requested subdirectories on your personal web space to the registered domain name that it is being forwarded to.

Search engine ratings are not just based on the domain name and index page (and tags) but also the associated content in the subdirectories/pages it is linked to.

This is the most inexpensive way for someone to get started. Provided your ISP doesn't use annoying popups and advertising, it will look like the real deal.

Thanks, planning to get my son-inlaw over here to help with the web sight. Maybe he can read what you said to me:confused:
:beerchug:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Chris,
I still don't have a site yet but had wondered about registering a couple of names just because.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
ok, I just looked over "namebargain.com".

They offer URL forwarding but you have to pay for the additional service and just about every other service. There always seems to be a "catch" with discount domain names and you may have to keep the name parked with them for a certain amount of time before being able to move it or pay a transfer fee.

Last I checked, dot com names cost $35 bucks per year from an official ICANN registrar like Network Solutions ... that's with no strings attached and you own the name for the full year.

BUT there may be a way around paying for the additional forwarding service fees. Use a free DNS managment service like zoneedit.com .... I've done it, it works. Just follow the instructions on modifying DNS addresses associated with your new domain name.

---------------

Rex,

I use domainbank.net, an official ICANN registrar. For the $35 bucks per year, all of the forwarding services you'll need to get going are free along with e-mail services. Soooo, you can either forward to the personal space your ISP's provided for you with your home DSL/broadband or upgrade to a business account.

I've kinda haphazardly sped red this thread so I don't what others have suggested. There's always something that offers a little more service or better pricing. Watch out for services that offer tons of storage space and bandwidth for almost nothing. Just read the fine print and be sure they don't put any advertising garbage on your site.

Sorry about all the technical gibberish guys.

Last edited:

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Metalchippert,
Congratulations on going full time. I did about two years ago under similar circumstances and haven't looked back.... as I have no time to do so.

May you always have a gun in the mail,
Dennis

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus..
Just remember, paybacks are hell! :)
Marcus thinks because I cut scrolls from either way that they are backwards. And HE is one of those guys that drives on the wrong side of the road!!

And Chris, thanks for the info. I will do my homework when I decide.