Question: web page name?

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex, You can try GoDaddy.com. I have many of my sites registered through them. Rob just signed up another 3 the other day - somewhere in the $10/year range. Hosting, of course is separate. They seem to have pretty good rates.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Well, I guess I don't know a good registrar from a bad one. All I know is that all of my domains are registered with NameBargin.com, and it's cheap. I set the DNS to point to my host at pair.com and that's that. I don't get charged any additional fees for anything, but I've not tried to move them to a different registrar as I've never felt the need to. All I know is that I pay $9/year to own the domain names. If I'm missing something I guess I don't know what it is.

Of course there are many companies that do this, and many companies that host sites. A basic FTP hosting package at pair.com is around $7 or $8 a month which I find very reasonable. I've been with them for many years and my sites and email always work. Rarely a problem. The Cafe is also hosted there. Shop around and compare. I don't claim the companies I do business with are the best. I only know they've served me well with no complaints and seem to be a fair value and pair.com has excellent customer support.

If you'd like to find out which company is hosting your favorite websites, click this link.

Cheers / ~Sam

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
I dunno Sam ... I guess the domain name registration business has evolved since I was doing that kind of work for much better money. Back in the day ... "ot 1" or "ot 2":), there weren't as many registrars out there as you probably know. Prior to '99, it was go to the Network Solutions monopoly and after that, if the seller didn't have the "ICANN" icon on their site, I just didn't pay them any mind cause all the little "extras" usually added up pretty fast. I also don't know the details between a proxy registration and a direct registration.

Take care,
Chris

btw ... GoDaddy is one of the top rated registrars out there.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Me either...never heard of a proxy registration. I know what you mean, back in the day it was Network Solutions @ $35 a pop. The whole thing is very confusing, really. To me, anyway. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but when I registered MasterEngraver.com is wasn't through NameBargain, but that's where they are registered and who I pay to renew. Maybe that was a proxy registration through a reseller or something.

I've seen the GoDaddy ads in the magazines but never used them. Anyway, I'm glad this subject came up because I'd like to see more engravers have personal websites.

~Sam

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
never heard of a proxy registration. I know what you mean, back in the day it was Network Solutions @ $35 a pop.
I've been registered with NetSol since 99. It is a primary registration and will work without having to type www in front if it. I don't think that proxy registrations will do that, but could be wrong. When I reregister, I do so 5 years at a time, but don't remember the cost........it's not a whole lot.

Likewise, my site has been hosted by Mindspring (which was bought by Earthlink) since 99. However, they have not kept up with technologies offered by other host companies. Most now offer free PHP and MySQL, as well as message boards and other features. I'll probably change at some point. On my other computer, I have a URL for a site that lists the 10 best website hosting companies and compares cost vs features for a great many. Next time I sign on with that computer, I will post the URL for it.

Dave

Jackson

I used GoDaddy to register my domain name bucklesbyJackson.com (long time ago) Its currently about $10 and change. My site is hosted there for about $5 a month. You can also get .org and .info and .tv and all the others at the same time for a discounted price
I also have a site that shows my straw bale house that is free but it has a GoDaddy add banner on the top. My wifes site is hosted by Yahoo and its about $11 a month.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
That review site really shows how long I've been out the loop.

I remember when you either had to pay big bucks for site hosting or host it in your own office with a fractional T. When broadband just started to become popular, I loaded up a couple of Linux systems and put a full blown firewall appliance on my home network. Talk about a cheap setup then ... Linux runs on anything that would normally end up as a door stop. Back then, running a LAN and a commercial server through a residential broadband connection was a big no no.

If I weren't living out in the middle of nowhere using satellite, I'd still have a Linux machine hosting my site here in the office. However, the cost of the electric bill alone to run that machine can't come close to the prices offered by some of the hosting services out there today. Heck ... I'm an engraver now and not a systems engineer anymore anyway:big grin:

For the techno geek that wants complete control and physical file security, hosting it at home using URL forwarding is always an option.

btw ... Interesting observation about the proxy registrations Dave. I know that with direct registration, I can add as many hosts as I need in front of my domain name ie: www2, www3 or mail etc.etc. I can directly modify the WHOIS info as well.

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think there is a central domain name register somewhere (there must be or we'd see repeats of domain names cropping up) and that most 'providers' are resellers. I use a company to host my website over here called 1&1 and bought my domain name through them but the certificate comes from someone else entirely.

Something else that needs thinking about is the amount of traffic you predict. I probably pay over the odds for my hosting but what I didn't want was to run over my allotted band width and get hit with another huge bill at the end of the billing cycle. No one actually every explains how many hits = Mb or Gb of space so I have no idea but it might need consideration or what looks like a bargain might cost you more than expected.

Sam

Staff member
No one actually every explains how many hits = Mb or Gb of space so I have no idea but it might need consideration or what looks like a bargain might cost you more than expected.

Bandwidth consumption depends on whether the visitor loads images, how many images, etc. It shouldn't be an issue on the average website unless you're getting thousands of hits per day and/or haven't optimized the graphics on your site. Before I started the Cafe, my monthly hosting bill was around $7 a month with Pair.com

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
:banana:

Just a note of thanks to everybody who has tried to help out an soon to be a sink or swim engraver. The job market for an equal job is rare here now.
Things are happening too fast for this old boy, but I have to remember how God has taken care of me in past.
My favorite verse is Romans 8:28. I call that verse my soft pillow for my weary head.

My tip of the day is.
I quick reversing transfer pattern that I use.
Cut the 1st pattern---before doing any background work. Rub finger print ink in the engraving [or any oil base black paint]. Lay magic tape over it, burnish the ink to the tape---a light touch with a dull scribe. Pull it off and tape the ends to a table--sticky side up.
take another piece of tape and stick on your arm [ that puts the right amount of stickiness duller to the tape so the glue does not pull up the glue from the 1st piece of tape ] Then put it on the 1st tape and burnish lightly. Pull it off and and lay it on the place you want your reversed pattern to go.
I use " Blair fixative " to prevent smearing. Low odor and can be remove by water.

:thumbs up: