What do you listen to while engraving?

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I have nothing against bluegrass, but I find I get more work done if I throw on some Mettalica or Godsmack. Also a little Johnny Cash or Johnny Horton never hurt anybody.:cool:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill,

I guess I just have not done enough hobo nickels to be that efficient yet but your speed is very impressive to me. Especially when I see the quality that is coming off your bench at that speed.

Very impressive Bill.

Ray

Andrew Biggs

Peace and quiet is what I listen to and I love it. Natures sounds are nice....wind, rain, birds, thunder, leaves rustling, crickets, cicadas, water flowing, pounding surf....now that's music.

I find that music, radio and TV act like mental static to me. It probabley has something to do with what Allan was saying about the right brain theory. After a while some people tune into the rythym of what's happening around them instead of what's in front of them. This can be really noticeable if you put on some really racey rock n roll and start driving. I'm amazed that a lot of people I know can't live without constant background noise no matter where they are.

Don't get me wrong, I love music, but not while I'm working or trying to think.

Cheers
Andrew

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What do I listen to??
Usually customers wondering when the engraving job I promised will be done..........

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, you used the word impressive about my coin carving, when i see the fountain pens that you,ve engraved, i call it amazing and ask myself "How is it Possible"..

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like jazz, classical, and bluegrass, that is when i can hear it over the booming voice of my old lady yelling at me !

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Selective Rock and Roll for the most part from the late 50's ending around the very early 80's. I will however listen to other forms of music, but forget Rap and Hip-Hop, that is not music if you ask me. There are times when Jazz sounds good, then other times that Symphonic music is soothing, and even an occasional modern top 40 followed by country. I can appreciate most music, it comes down to taste and the work I'm doing. Sculpting is more relaxing work, thus I often listen to jazz, symphonic or mellow rock. When I am really trying to meet a deadline on a die, then give me ROCK, and crank it up!

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Bill,
I finally just got caught up on posts. I keep a TV in my shop too. Can't use it while any machines are running, but when I'm at the bench I often turn it on. The funny thing is I just end up listening to it instead of watching it, kind of like the TV is keeping me company. Its nice to hear another voice, TV or otherwise, when you are working by yourself all day. Sometimes talk radio is okay for a voice, but the hosts are usually full of themselves. I don't know about anyone else, but I use a headset for my phone. That way I can catch up on some of my calls and still keep working. Now if I can just figure out how to engrave and use the computer at the same time.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like to listen to talk radio, usually BBC Radio 4 as it keeps me company, but when I'm in a musical mood - all sorts. There are some great bands at the moment but I don't know whether they've made it across the pond yet? Kaiser Chiefs, Sandi Thom, The Kooks, Badly Drawn Boy to name but a few.....imho, music has gone through a very dull patch but it's turning round. Gotta be open minded enough to listen to what the youngsters are putting out though, :D:eek: :D

monk

Staff member
old lady

If you call her your "old lady" it's no wonder she yells at you! :eek:

tis a term of endearment. she calls me her old man. and did so when we walked down the aisle in 1967.
she yells cause i deserve it ! monk

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I have a Sirrus Satellite radio, and I like big band music of the 40's, Sinatra, Deano, Sammy, Ella, Shacsmo, Hank Williams, Sr./Jr., Elvis, and 50's rock & roll. Keep up the good work everyone!

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
BBC radio 4, music.... Heavy metal stuff.... Zak Wyldes Black Label Society being a favourite.... just don't try headbanging while engraving.... 2 black eyes from the scope. If I fancy a quieter day, Mediæval Babes are good.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Listening Music

After reading these many responses and especially R brain / L brain stimulus, I know know why I draw and cut better when I have on my ear phones/I-pod and am listening to Andrea Bocelli, Josh Groban, Sarah Brightman, Gershwin, Janis Joplin (Yeah, love that broad. Reminds me of my youth) Judy Collins, Tom rush, James Taylor, and some Chopan thrown in to sooth my soul.

Marian Sawby

I listen to music when I draw, usually bluegrass or classical. The rest of the day I listen to National Public Radio, Free Speech TV (sound only) or BBC when I can get it. We have Sirius in our car and my husband's shop. NPR is the favorite there, along with Comedy Channels.

Tim Adlam

I love XM satellite radio for its diversity.
Lately, I've found books on tape or CD to be more interesting.
Lacking the time to sit down and read a good book, audio libraries fit the bill.
The important thing for me is that once I get into a novel, I tend to stick to working at the bench longer.
You can actually be in two worlds at once.

Currently I'm going through a Sci-Fi phase.
Favorites are the "Dune" books written by the late Frank Herbert, and the editions contributed by his son.

C.S. Foresters "Hornblower" series are a must if you like nautical adventure and tall ships.
Patrick O'Brian's [Master & Commander] series follows the same period/theme.

On the horizon is Tom Clancey [Op Center series], and Ann Rice [Interview with a Vampire, and The Vampire Lestat].

When push comes to shove...I play a favorite Neil Young CD in a loop...all day long.

Tim

suzy-q

Wow, I never thought of books on tape-I love it here!-
me: reggae, latin, or steel drum stuff, keeps me in the warm, ocean state of mind :)

Marc Williams

I am pretty sure this is my first post.. and I love music so I love this thread.... I listen to the Dave Matthews band pretty much all day everyday.. When I am not listening to them I like James Taylor, Norah Jones, Pink Floyd, John Denver, Jimmy Buffet, and a ton more... I have Sirius sattelite radio in my shop and I really can't get myself to change the channel from the NASCAR channel... and no I'm not a redneck.. just a jeweler...:) .. I have an 80gig Ipod and I have about 250 songs on it and I don't think I even put a dent in the capacity.. So if anyone has any good ideas for me to fill it.. lemme know....

Marc Williams

Latest posts

Sponsors