What Does the Monogram Say?

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello All!

I've received a few pictures from a forum member asking what the letters in tis monogram are. I have my opinion, but I'm not exactly sure... so... Anyone know for sure what the letters in the monogram are? They are on a leather gun case which came from NY state. Thanks! :)

Attachments

• ToleshMonogram1.jpg
    ToleshMonogram1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 222
  • ToleshMonogram2.jpg
    ToleshMonogram2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 143
  • ToleshMonogram3.jpg
    ToleshMonogram3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 177

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, I think it starts with J F so it could be JFK :big grin: as the last letter is not really clear to me.

No serious, I think there are 4 letters at least but I can only see tree.

J D F

arnaud

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It would be my guess that it may be the gunmaker more than anything. However it doesn't look like Abercrombie & Fitch or Griffin & Howe which were the most obvious..
Rex

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think it may be the trademark of a New York retailer but I've eliminated the usual suspects like Abercrombie & Fitch.

I photoshoped the image for a higher contrast, negative image. It seems clear to me that the initials JDF are there but I can't figure out what the letter is that ends in the spiral on the lower right. Maybe that spiral is just an artistic device to balance the design.

Attachments

• JDF.jpg
    JDF.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Roger, that is what I came out with... But I think we are still missing one letter, the last one on the right.
Don't know if it make any sense, but the scroll that looks "artistic geometry" to you in my opinion if it is a letter it has to be a C
So it must be J D F C

arnaud

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, I cleaned it up a bit in Corel and I believe it is HDF with a little stylized half figure 8 coming off the bottom right leg of the H just to fill in the design.

Kevin

Attachments

• ToleshMonogram1.jpg
    ToleshMonogram1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 90

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
maybe somebody can 'de-construct' it into a few of the more individual letters? it might be more legible untangled...

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
maybe somebody can 'de-construct' it into a few of the more individual letters? it might be more legible untangled...

Mitch, that is the goal of this, de-construct it into letters. :big grin:

If we already would know how much letters that would help also, if it are letters.

I think we are on the right way, but probably Tira has chosen a much more complicated one to keep us going. :big grin:

arnaud

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira,
If you could find out just what the case held, it might help identify the monogram.
I would be nearly certain it was either the maker of the gun or maker of the case. To put a monogram on a case like that for just a customer would required a special made die just to stamp it.
Rex

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't have the answer to this. I was asked by one of our members and I tried to come up with the answer, but was unsure so I thought I would post it for the group to consider.

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
There is a short horizontal line connecting what looks like the J with what looks like the C, It could be HDF

Last edited:

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Oh, duh.. didn't see the previous posts.

The man I apprenticed for had an interesting take on monograms. To explain the difference between a monogram and initials, he broke down the word for me and said it means ONE DESIGN. He explained the goal of designing a monogram was to create one beautiful, well balanced design from the letter forms of the given initials and not worry too much about how easy it is to decipher, as long as the total design was attractive. -- or something to that effect.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe it is JDF because you normally wouldn't make a part of a letter H off of the back of the loop of the D. In a brand you might, but not usually in a monogram. Each letter is usually whole by itself and intertwined.

that is my two cents.

Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors