What Does the Monogram Say?

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: After examining that beautiful, very artistic monogram for a while, to me it looks like the first letter is 'H' or 'A', and the other two are 'C' & 'F', so the monogram is 'HCF' or 'ACF'. The 'C' is made from the center of the design and is passing ('embracing') the 'F' completely to create enough balance in the monogram. I've always been very fascinated by 'special lettering' and calligraphy, :thumbs up:especially the Old English and Gothic types I've been inking/drawing a lot, also the strong German 'Fractur' style is familiar. (and by the way....mostly I'm the only person who can read the Metal rockgroup's names/logo's on my daughter's T-shirts:big grin:)! Paulie:beerchug:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was never good at reading monograms but if it was ACF it very well could be Abercrombie & Fitch. They used AC&F as a logo in the early years. It doesn't look like their trademark however.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This could be a H and D and F

But sure there could be a J too

arnaud

Attachments

• ToleshMonogram1H.jpg
    ToleshMonogram1H.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 34
  • ToleshMonogram1D.jpg
    ToleshMonogram1D.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 35
  • ToleshMonogram1F.jpg
    ToleshMonogram1F.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 34
  • ToleshMonogram1J.jpg
    ToleshMonogram1J.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Well Arnaud is better at illustrator than I am but here's my take broken down. and I still get HDF I just don't like the why thy did the D if I'm right.

Kevin

Attachments

• ToleshMonogram2.jpg
    ToleshMonogram2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 14
  • HDF.JPG
    HDF.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 8
  • H.JPG
    H.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 8
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 7
  • F.JPG
    F.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Half 8.JPG
    Half 8.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 7

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think Arnaud has laid it out - I believe it's for J F DH - the D & H are intertwined which I have been told is how you handle a two word last name, like, say De Havilland.

De Havilland was a British aircraft maker back in the 1920's. They did make guns for their airplanes but if they made anything for individuals a quick search isn't turning it up. Apparently they also had a Canadian subsidiary, which ties in with the NY origin for this piece. There was a 'John De Havilland' but no quick indication of his middle name.

JIA

Elite Cafe Member
i think the same too or the J could Be an I(i)

JHDF and i put them like arnaud but in a different way.

Attachments

• J.jpg
    J.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 29
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 28
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 28
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 27
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 24

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I think that the first letter that most are identifying as a J is actually an I. In script, a J has a double loop at the bottom usually to differentiate it from an I.

JIA

Elite Cafe Member
lets see one more try.
is that look better?
can i change my mind?
hehehehe.

after looking at references i can say its HDF

Attachments

• HDF.jpg
    HDF.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 62

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
That's the way I see it. Nice monogram either way. Another thing about monograms is that they're usually done for a person, and that person knows how to decipher it no matter how intertwined.

The weird thing about this one to me is the H. Normally, a script H has the cross coming from the upper right loop. This one is just a very short horizontal line that is hardly noticeable. It could be the designer abbreviated that line to avoid too much confusion in the place the loop would normally be.

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are two more pictures of the gun case. The current owner speculates that this printed monogram is the owner's initials and the embossed initials were the makers or retailers mark.

Attachments

• ToleshMonogram4.jpg
    ToleshMonogram4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 50
  • ToleshMonogram5.jpg
    ToleshMonogram5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 57

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks to Leroy & Jakob- that's exactly what i was hoping someone would post, so we could make a more direct visual comparison of the individual letters. i don't have the software to do this sort of thing. (note to Arnaud- i'm not an idiot.)

Sponsors