What Does the Monogram Say?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks to Leroy & Jakob- that's exactly what i was hoping someone would post, so we could make a more direct visual comparison of the individual letters. i don't have the software to do this sort of thing. (note to Arnaud- i'm not an idiot.)

Mitch sure you are not an idiot but the way I understood you, I realised one can draw almost every letter on the monogram, so doesn't make it less complicated and that is the goal.
Wasn't it I who posted the first visual comparison of individual letters. When I posted the first visualization I even thought about your answer as to me it was indeed something you asked for.
On the other hand, no need for software, just a printer scanner and a pencil.

arnaud

Last edited:

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
monogram

Can anyone make out H&D F Co? H.&D. Folsom Co, aka H.&D. Folsom Arms Co. was a retailer of firearms in NYC active at the turn of the century. Seems it was a sort of a large Department Store for guns. I don't know anything about guns, I got this info from google.
It seems like it could work. Makes sense that the H-D share a main stem in the Monogram. Seems to follow Monogram "rules". The style of the monogram fits the time period. Kevin Scott

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Kevin, You may have the right idea! That would explain the half figure 8, it might represent a "&" sign and it puts it in the right place on the monogram and with it being a New York company and the addition of now knowing there is a second more readable monogram which might be of the person who bought the gun from H.&D. Folsom Co.

It's got my vote so far,:thumbs up:
Kevin

Can anyone make out H&D F Co? H.&D. Folsom Co, aka H.&D. Folsom Arms Co. was a retailer of firearms in NYC active at the turn of the century. Seems it was a sort of a large Department Store for guns. I don't know anything about guns, I got this info from google.
It seems like it could work. Makes sense that the H-D share a main stem in the Monogram. Seems to follow Monogram "rules". The style of the monogram fits the time period. Kevin Scott

Last edited:

tolesh

Wow, I think kevin is on the right track. H D Folsom & Co makes a lot of sense to me. It is a takedown gun case usually for shotguns. It is known as a "Leg of Mutton" case because it resembles a leg of lamb.
Many thanks to all for your great help. this mongram bugged me for years, I could never figure it out. Thank You all.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Notice the address in the upper right hand corner. I have this catalog, but it doesn't list any muttonchop gun cases. However, it's an early one and they would have been sold in the later cartridge era.

Attachments

• Folsom.jpg
    Folsom.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Sponsors