William Henry knives

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a couple things I finished up a few days ago. I like jobs that test my limits, and this one certainly did. Not in the way I like though, they are made of titanium and I am not sure the type, but it is miserable stuff. Glensteels or M42's my preference for mild steels and 416, just would'nt touch this stuff. I finally sharpened some Carbalts and then it went pretty well. All the background had to be removed with a flat, made out of a Carbalt, because a carbide bur would dull almost instantly. I was getting a bit frustrated with it at first, but after I altered my process and retooled, now its not so bad, but it still makes me appreciate 416.

Tim Wells should be posting some of these here shortly......................Having fun Tim? ;) Brian

[/IMG]

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Ditto, Just Beautiful....
Where there is a will, there is a way.
Thanks for sharing the journey through gravers to get the job done....
Serves as a warning, for me.
Ditto, Just Beautiful
Stephen

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Absolutely excellent engraving. Quality design with quality cutting. The bottom one is my favorite.
Sam

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I echo the prior posts...beautiful. Great designs on the scrolls.

Thanks for posting them and the warning about titanium.

Peter

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Wonderful scrollwork, Brian.
And the photos ain't no slouch.
Thank you for posting them.
John B.

PS. I like the way you signed the top one best.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What, ME follow THAT? You gotta be kidding!:D :rolleyes:

I like the way you solved the holes being in the way. I never thought about engraving half the bolster and it works great I think.

I have a sample bolster here that I'll cut a preliminary design on and send them for approval. I just started it last night and only did the fine lines defining the holes and one outer line of a double border around the bolster itself, the rest I'll cut as the scroll progresses because I want a few leaf tips to interrupt that inner border here and there.

I too had to use a Carbalt graver. I usually use an M42 cobalt as standard but when I tried a little test work on the backside of that bolster it dulled quickly, so I ground up a little narrow graver for the border in cobalt and it went well. Hard stuff ain't it. Just like stainless, all titaniums are not created equal.

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
Brian .. just beautiful you handled the scroll design around those screw hols just perfectly great looking job .. I engrave a lot of W ,H. knives and I do not have any problems , just send them all to me I will cut them for you .. ron p

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words. I have been studying my photography some so it is improving. But, unfortunetly, its seems like home work, its something I need to do well but, I am not real interested in it.

John B. I agree with you I have been signing my name lately with all upper case but when I sat down to do the bottom knife I had a flashback and thats how it came out.

Ron P. Not to be a smart alec, but I am glad you don't have problems with cutting them, because with the amount of theme knives I have coming in(which I prefer doing) I don't think I will have the time to do to many of the W-H's.

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi Brian .. no I don't take any of what you say as being smart ,I respect you as a master engraver , your work is very good and it does look like you know what you are doing , I have cut a lot of ti. in my 37 years of engraving and up until a few years ago I did hate it like every body else but one day As I was experimenting with cutting a bolster for one of my knives I discovered how to cut it . if you need help with them just give me a call .. thanks for your comments .. ron p

Latest posts

Sponsors