working while staying at home

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm doing a layout for a blacksmiths' hammer head. not sure if i'll engrave it or electrolitically etch it. time will tell.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, I finally found it! I know the picture is dark, but it was made in 1975 with my Canon 35 mm SLR. You may need to look a little more closely than normal to see some of the details. The cowboys are gathering around the campfire and one is coming up from the left on his horse. It was all airbrushed by hand and was driven daily until I sold it to a buddy of mine so we could build our home in the country.

Chuck Wagon Van.jpg

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it seems to be missing the obligatory "If this van's rockin'..." bumpersticker.

With two kids in the van when camping in it, the "rocking" had already been done!!

And yes, Lee, it was quite a good looking van. Although not built for show, we won our share of trophies at the van shows. I'll not belabor the point and will stop hijacking the thread, but the interior had oak floors, redwood side walls and wormy cypress surrounding the bed. The bench seat and forward swiveling seats were upholstered by an aircraft upholsterer over homemade frames of EMT tubing (by me) along with the headliner and bed padding. We thoroughly enjoyed traveling in it. My CB handle was "Chuckwagon" and my wife's was "Prairie Cook." No more on this, just when I saw your scene on the Winchester it brought back many a good memory.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I finally was able to take some photos of my 1876 Winchester that won some awards in Vegas at our FEGA meeting I was waiting for it to come back from Doug Turnbull whir did the bluing and case hardening. Now I can finally go back to engraving my cattle drive scene and not worry about how this one turned out. Will now be able to ship it back to my client
Stay safe everyone

1876 composite 4 web.jpg

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Marty outstanding to say the least! I see that the hammer and lever are CCH. It appears that the side of the receiver have not been CCH or was removed? Thanks for you progressive pics of the "Chuck wagon" project it is very informative as what is done first and so forth to the end.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Do you get any Postpartum Depression when you send a project back to a client?

At times that is an understatement gor sure im shipping it out on monday but stalling packing it up until sunday for all of us there is a part of your life that goes into each piece we do So on monday i think i will back my tundra up over a bunch of beer cans after i come home from fedex

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I DO NOT like surprises during an engraving project. Though some projects lend themselves to a bit of "design as you go", many, like this one do not.

This shows my drawing technique on bare metal. It is easily corrected along the way and easily burnished out when needed.

This one is now ready for that hardest part of an engraving project...that first cut. After that one must keep going to the end!! Staying home ( as always) and keeping busy.

cut ready.jpg

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are right Sam That first cut is a killer it doesn't seem to get any easier even after all these years
Your pencil drawing is a whole lot more detailed than mine are i usually do the main backbone first of course and then a few focal point details i then usually indicate the spacing . After cutting these i go back and add my details as needed i find its the best way for me to change as i go along and cover up the mistakes that i never admit to making

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
TOS, I couldn’t imagine drawing something so detailed and beautiful directly on metal. Even if I could design something like that it would take 200 hours and many changes, fixes and do-overs. Great job!

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
beautiful TOS...........that for me would be like a one legged man at butt kicking contest!!!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors