wriggle cuts

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bill,

Tira is definately correct in steering you toward a narrower graver. The force necessary to push the graver into the metal and keep it moving forward is proportional to the width of the graver. This should be relatively easy to accomplish by honing the width of your screwdriver/graver with a sharpening stone.

The cigarette case in the photo appears to have been wriggled using a technique refered to as 'low wriggle' where the graver is held lower to the object. The low method creates more of a zipper appearance whereas the higher angle of attack gives more of a zip-zag appearance.

I also think your nail/graver idea has merrit as long as you have access to enough heat to be able to temper the nail after you have given it the rough shape of a flat graver. The force and the friction of low wriggle cutting will dull the outer edges quickly otherwise. Its very difficult to execute a clean wriggle cut with a dull graver so know that your sharpening-time will be a good investment.

Finally, I would add that rhythum is more important than speed. When I first started learning to wriggle cut, I had the idea that I needed to buzz like a sewing machine. If it helps you to count out "One, two, one, two" then do so as slowly as you feel comfortable. The key again is to keep a consistent rhythum.

Here is a quote from Scott Pilkington taken from a previous thread on iGraver which explains the technique of the low wriggle better than any I have ever come across.

This wiggle looks nothing like a high wiggle which is essentially a zigzag line. the low wiggle looks more like a zipper to me, with interlocking teeth, made by the bright cuts. To do the low wiggle, you need some good wrist and forearm strength. You will have to build up to it if you do much of it at all.

The graver is a flat graver with NO heel. It (the bottome of the graver)can be bright polished if you want bright cuts in the brass. I say brass, cause that is mostly what you see in banjos, you could do it in nickel silver as well, but I would not attempt it in steel. I would put about a 45 degree face on the heeless flat graver. with the graver at about a 15 degree attack, push it in as far as you can on the front right side of the graver. When you get it pushed into the brass until it will not go anymore, rock the graver from right to left, so that the burr you just made breaks off more or less straight and you start pushing in as deep as you can with the left side until it stops because you are too deep, rotate the front the graver back over the right side and start the process all over again. Do it fast and in an equal rhythm and you will have a good looking zipper wiggle. Different width gravers can be used of course for different effects, but the wider the flat is the harder your wrist is going to have to work to break the burr as you roll from left to right, right to left.

Good luck, Bill.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sounds to me like you guys are working too hard at it. You have to relax your hand to get that rythum needed. It is very easy and you don't need a lot of pressure especially in aluminum.

Try this exercise:

Hold your right hand and wrist in a natural position, relax the fingers and wrist and rotate the wrist back and forth, not slowly, but not too fast. You will find a comfortable, natural rythum that seems to take no effort or concentration at all. A rather fast approach will be the result, not a diliberate motion so much. This will give you the proper feeling of how the wriggle cut is done.

The graver must be held high to bite the metal. You push down slightly and go at it with that relaxed feeling in your wrist. It is all in the rythum. If you lower your attack angle the tool will get harder to control the lower you go. You can vary the stretch of the wriggle pattern this way, but the movements are subtle to get quite a varience.

You need to have at least a high carbon tool tempered properly also. The tendency is that microscopic chips break off of the corners of the tool (on harder metals) and the tool gets dull. Without the proper temper the tool will fail. You could alter a knife blade possibly to accomplish a tool that might stand up, but like Marcus said, you sharpen it on the cutting side so that it won't fold up on you. Not a good idea in any case, but the steel would probably be sufficiently good. Any good high tempered piece of steel could be ground to serve.

To wriggle cut, a short tool is better. It gives you a little better control.

If you have ever seen a red hot nail in the campfire, this would indicate that you could temper a small tool in a campfire and draw it back to the proper temper to make the tool.

These techniques will take some practice and you may need somwone to show you, but this is the way I prepared most of my lettering tools before we started using tool steels. The tricky and most essential part to get correct is drawing the temper back. This is the critical part. If you go past light straw color, you have to start the process all over again because the tool will be too soft.

Proceedure:

!. Heat to cherry red
2. quench or dash into cold water. ( it will be a brittle as glass at this point and will shatter.) Should have a slate gray appearance if it is good carbon steel.
3. Polish the steel back to bright steel so you can see color changes in the steel.
4. Wave it or pass it over the fire slowly back and forth until the steel takes on a slight yellow straw color. This has to be done carefully and slowly, watching attentively for any slight change in color. Heat it too fast and you blow it.
5. Sharpen on stone at appropriate angles
6. Stab into wooden hardwood block knocking off any burs, no need to strop. You need a pricky sharp tool. A face angle of about fifty degrees will give you a more durable tool. Lift is optional according to what is comfortable to you. You can stub the tool off even more if you are wriggling with a liner. they are more vulnerable to chipping off the corners. If you don't keep the tool sharp, it will slip so check it often.
7. Go at it (wriggling)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Just to add a chuckle to this thread.........
Frank Hendricks had a wicked sense of humor.
He called wriggle engraving " the drunk sheepherders walk."
Lord, I miss that guy!

God's rest, Frank.

John B.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That description by Scott sounded like it would be pretty easy so I took a few minutes with a practice plate last night to give it a try. Already had a #42 flat graver in my hand push handle from another experiment I did so I used it.

I was surprised at not only how easy it was but at how well it worked! Took me about 10 seconds to get it going - only took that long because I kept thinking it had to be harder than it was.

I really like the little 'starburst' you get when you wiggle your way around a tight circle. That's going to show up in something I do before too long.

All the rest of you who've never tried this, give it a shot! It's fun, it's easy, it's fast, and you can use it on things to thin to do 'regular' engraving on.

Thanks everyone!

Yossi

Hi,
I know this is old, but what is this Dianes video reffered to here? Also, does anyone have a 120 wriggle pic to show?

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Fast, slow, steep or low angle, Isn't just a matter of what you want in a finished project. For myself I use a steep angle and some what slow forward movement and only in silver. I' never used it on anything else. I think it always gives the best look. Some older guns have wiggle cuts but I don't think it fits with modern engraving. If anyone had done a gun project with wiggle cuts I'd like to see it.

Imageraj

I've always called them wriggle cuts. Anyway, try wriggling (or wiggling) a 120 for an interesting effect.
Thanks! I tried it and liked the look - see :

Attachments

• 7F8418EC-24C0-4BB0-8598-CFBDBC6F6AC8.jpeg
    7F8418EC-24C0-4BB0-8598-CFBDBC6F6AC8.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 46

horologist

When I took John Schippers class at Connor Prairie he had a wiggle tool holder made from a trailer hitch ball. One of my classmates liked it so much he rushed out to Menards to buy one and I volunteered to make the necessary modifications.
23253098241_da5ec00e49_o.jpg
John liked the mass of the holder and found the shape to be more comfortable.

Troy

Imageraj

When I took John Schippers class at Connor Prairie he had a wiggle tool holder made from a trailer hitch ball. One of my classmates liked it so much he rushed out to Menards to buy one and I volunteered to make the necessary modifications.
View attachment 46868
John liked the mass of the holder and found the shape to be more comfortable.

Troy

What a great idea! I would love to make one for myself if I can figure out how/what... I believe extra weight/mass would help wiggle it better. Thanks for sharing. Any suggestions on what would I need to make this?

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
The easy way, a lathe, drill press, couple drill bits, a tap and corresponding set screw and an appropriate trailer hitch ball, that's most likely how this was done.

The harder way, a file, and a hand drill...............

Imageraj

The easy way, a lathe, drill press, couple drill bits, a tap and corresponding set screw and an appropriate trailer hitch ball, that's most likely how this was done.

The harder way, a file, and a hand drill...............

I have a friend who has lathe and knows more about this stuff than I do- will check with him. Thanks

T.G.III

I have a friend who has lathe and knows more about this stuff than I do- will check with him. Thanks

Yup, like this idea and will make one as well.

This is the very reason why this site is such an amazing resource, the freely shared information is invaluable.

Imageraj

Yup, like this idea and will make one as well.

This is the very reason why this site is such an amazing resource, the freely shared information is invaluable.

Found this on Amazon. 1.5 inch and 1 lb - wondering if this would be a good size/weight? Thanks

Attachments

• BEE55D9F-4804-4360-AA11-DF439B9AEA9A.png
    BEE55D9F-4804-4360-AA11-DF439B9AEA9A.png
    425 KB · Views: 11

horologist

You don't want those, drilling to attach the shaft that holds the graver will likely be miserable to impossible.

I started with a standard 2 in ball hitch and turned away everything that wasn't part of a wiggle tool. You need to remove a lot of material, even with a good lathe it was a fair amount of work, probably why I never made one for myself. Trying this with a drill press or hand drill and files could work but will qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.

Something like this
1604851895124.png

I've had some computer trouble this year and had to dig a bit to see if I took any photos of the construction process. I remember being rushed to finish it before a trip and suspect all I took was the finished product.

I did find the one I took of John's at the class.
IMG_2288.JPG

I have several lathes but the size of the ball made work holding a little tricky and I don't remember exactly how I did it. I would talk with your friend with the lathe before buying anything. You might also try going to a local hardware store and look at their stock, trailer hitch balls come in a range of sizes. The 2 " is what John used but that isn't important, it needs to fit your hand and you may want one that is a different size. In class I thought a slightly lighter version made with a brass or steel tool holder set into a wood sphere might be nice. Certainly easier to make.

Troy

T.G.III

Found this on Amazon. 1.5 inch and 1 lb - wondering if this would be a good size/weight? Thanks
Looking at the image posted by horologist your bearings are missing a shaft to mount the gravers into.

Went to the hardware store the other day and bought a trailer hitch ball as referenced above and roughed this out, since I'm using GRS pneumatic tooling I roughed it in to use the quick change collets

KIMG1956.JPG

KIMG1955.JPG

Imageraj

Looking at the image posted by horologist your bearings are missing a shaft to mount the gravers into.

Went to the hardware store the other day and bought a trailer hitch ball as referenced above and roughed this out, since I'm using GRS pneumatic tooling I roughed it in to use the quick change collets

View attachment 46892

View attachment 46893

Oh I see. The benefit of using a trailer hitch is to have a shaft to mount the graver (after Turning/drilling) so it’s a one piece solid holder. Makes sense. Thanks. I found some brass/SS spheres with a threaded hole in different sizes so wondering if it’s easier to modify compared to a hitch. Libertybrass.com has several options. Thanks

Attachments

• 32E89929-7D15-4745-A915-83B8D9189EF1.png
    32E89929-7D15-4745-A915-83B8D9189EF1.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 11

T.G.III

Correct, just depends on how you want to proceed, the brass will be easier to work, enjoy

Latest posts

Sponsors