YES or NO to thumbnail images in forum posts

Should the Cafe use thumbnail images or not?

• I prefer to click on a thumbnail to load images.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I would rather see full size images with no thumbnail.

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • No preference. Either way is fine with me.

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Some forums (photography for example) don't use thumbnails, but have full size images instead. I'd like to get some feedback from the members on this. Right now I have thumbnails turned off so you will see full size images. Good? Bad? Tell me what you think.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Makes no difference to me personally. I don't know if there would be any change in used bandwidth or some other factor though either way. It wouldn't bother me a bit to have to click on a thumbnail to "swell it up" to viewing size.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm on many different forums and they all have parameters for posting/viewing images. I prefer full size images to thumbnails.
The ones I don't like are the ones where you have to post the picture from a URL instead of a file.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Timster. Since we've moved to a private server we have a greater bandwidth allowance so I'm hoping that won't be an issue :)

Brian: I can almost guarantee that's because of bandwidth consumption. One of my photography forums does that if you're not a paid member, and it's a hassle having to upload to ImageShack or PhotoBucket and copy/paste the photo's url into your forum post.:confused:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I prefer thumbnails. There are too many people who don't know how to resize pictures. They post them at a hi-res which affects the text of the thread. Consequently, you have to use a scroll bar to read the text which becomes wider than the screen.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i kinda prefer the thumbnails- it keeps the overall thread a little more 'compact' without having to scroll too far down for everything. my opinion is partly based on the fact i have a very sloooow mouse. it takes about 2 1/2 trips across the pad to move the icon all the way across the screen. i've got it cranked up as fast as it will go in settings (even the local Mac shop said there's nothing they can do about it). anything that requires less clickin'-n-draggin' is my preference...

Sam

Staff member
I prefer thumbnails. There are too many people who don't know how to resize pictures. They post them at a hi-res which affects the text of the thread. Consequently, you have to use a scroll bar to read the text which becomes wider than the screen.

Excellent point. Without resizing this could be a royal pain.

Mitch: How old is that Mac and mouse?!

mrthe

I prefer full size image,for two reason ,first is more easy to to see if a post have more than one photo,and second but not minus important i follow the forum 80% of times from my iphone or my ipad,and thumnail attachment difficult the navigation with its

mrthe

Excellent point. Without resizing this could be a royal pain.

Mitch: How old is that Mac and mouse?!

Sam in Vbulletin you can modify codes for automatic resizing of the images ,you only need setting the maximum width of the tag Img for example in postbit.css at the end of the template you can put this code:

/* BEGIN Image resize */
#posts IMG {
max-width: 640px;

}
#collapseobj_threadreview IMG {

}
/* END Image resize */

only you need to change the value in red for what do you want

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I read this thread, then went and read the forum with the new setting before voting.

Here at home, with my high-bandwidth connection having the full size (well, resized) images pop right up is working well. Not sure about those occasions when I come in via a band-width limited connection.

I can also see issues with the occasional post / thread that's very image intensive.

If it's possible it would be good to be able to toggle a setting for thumbnails / full size. Ideally it would be one you could set in your user profile so the folks with bandwidth limitations could convserve it for just the things they haven't seen yet.

Sam

Staff member
Sam in Vbulletin you can modify codes for automatic resizing of the images ,you only need setting the maximum width of the tag Img for example in postbit.css at the end of the template you can put this code:

/* BEGIN Image resize */
#posts IMG {

}
#collapseobj_threadreview IMG {

}
/* END Image resize */

only you need to change the value in red for what do you want

mrthe: Thanks for that code. This won't affect the file size but can control the pixel size and prevent photos from being too large. I will try this.
I remember you telling me you have vb experience when I first setup the new forum software. Are you a php coder?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Mitch: How old is that Mac and mouse?!"

i dunno- maybe 5 yrs old, but it's always been this way. and it doesn't really take 2 1/2 trips across the pad to move the icon across the screen, but unless i make a point of starting way over at the edge of the pad i will need to pick up the mouse and move it a couple times to go any significant distance. it's likely just another example of my horrible computer karma. these %$#@&* things & i do NOT get along...

mrthe

mrthe: Thanks for that code. This won't affect the file size but can control the pixel size and prevent photos from being too large. I will try this.
I remember you telling me you have vb experience when I first setup the new forum software. Are you a php coder?
Sam i have a large experience with vbulletin forum administration,i use this system from a very long time, and in the past i have create some modification for the VB forums system,i know something about php code but i`m not consider a coder XD,all the way let me know if you need help for something,if i can i will glad to help you ;)

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
I personally would prefer full sized images, However that being said I can live with either, just extremely happy to see the photos and the great work in this forum.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Sam,

I voted for full size. However, Like Tim said if there is any reason as far as speed or bandwidth use etc. I can live with either one and be happy. In the end I would rather see you do what makes life easiest on your end if going one way or the other matters there.

Ray

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Ray and others. I think we're ok with bandwidth now compared to before we had our own server. I'll keep an eye on that.

Mobile use is good point as I sometimes have trouble clicking on and viewing attachments on my iPhone.

mrthe: I have added your code to the postbit.css Thanks!

mrthe

Thank you to you sam! my iphone and my ipad also thank for it to you hehehe

Sam

Staff member
Speaking of iPhone and iPad, I just jailbroke mine a couple of days ago. Free once again!

Latest posts

Sponsors