2008 Engrave-In June 1-2-3, fun 4 U N me

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The 2008 Engrave-In is June 1-3. Sunday afternoon after the Blade Show finishes up, everyone will gather up here. Spouses and or significant others are also welcome. Kids, dogs and horse are also welcome. If you don’t have a dog or a horse we will loan you one. I expect we will have engraving systems from GRS, Ngraver, and Lindsay set up for people to try. I will have some of my engraved items that I have collected from around the world on display for discussion as well as scroll samples from various art forms. We will have smoked dinner on the grounds for lunch on Monday and that’s worth coming for believe me. If you want to bring something to eat that’s fine, or just bring yourself that’s fine too.
Sunday evening we will have a bonfire complete with pickin’ and grinnin’ hopefully led by a certain couple whose initials are Sam and Abby. Supper will also be served in between gabbing and singing. Kids and the young at heart can cook hotdogs and s’mores over the fire, while we will enjoy shrimp, salads and other assorted fixin’s for the those not wanting to get quite so smoky.

Monday the 2nd we will get started with Seminars. Paul Hamler, the only man I know who can say that he has engraved for Winston Churchill, will give us a walk through about how he makes miniature tools and will do a casting demonstration.
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Hamler.htm

An interactive seminar at Ray Cover’s suggestion will be, “My Favorite Tool†We all have a favorite tool, mostly something we have made or modified that just “does it†for us. I have one that I use for sketching, dotting, gold cleanup and other general things. When it decides to go hide somewhere in the far recesses of my bench or shop floor, I’m casting about everywhere till its back where it belongs. So I am asking all the working engravers to bring their favorite tool and plan on giving a 3 or 4 minute talk about what you do with it and be prepared to answer questions about it.

Somewhere along in here, we will enjoy Jim Hall’s great smoked meat and fixins. Jim is a heck of a craftsman, a fine cook and an aspiring engraver. Many of you met him last year. The final fabulous seminar of the day is still hidden behind door Number Three. I have several possible things in the works. We just have to see what falls together as we get a little closer.

For those that do not want the engraving fun and enlightening conversations we are offering something special for Tuesday. My parents run a canoe rental nearby that I grew up working at even as I started my engraving career. There will be a charge for this event, but since I know the management, maybe I can get a good group rate.
http://www.sequatchie.com/canoe.htm

Of course, there will lots of unstructured time to mingle, ask questions and try techniques. BRING YOUR STUFF, bring your tools, bring your work, bring your questions… BRING YOUR BENCH if you want . I would love to have 3 or 4 benches set up besides mine and Ray’s . This is an Engrave-In…. so bring your stuff to engrave if you can.

Some beautiful views here as well, a 10 minute walk will bring you the bluffs on our property, where you can see some 70 mile vistas. We have a newly dug pond that we can offer some fishing or swimming in for those inclined. Another bonus, if you want to try a world class airgun or two, we can let you give that a whirl as well.

For the wives in attendance, maybe Rhonda will consider new applicants for WOSEM, Wives Of Self-Employed Men, a club she formed some years ago when three of us guys, a wood carver, a knifemaker and myself, all went into the backyard to work everyday while the wives all drove an hour to work each day. Of course, Rhonda has long since joined the self-employed category, but believe me she still has much to say in this regard, especially on the male side….

Now I do need folks to start RSVPing to my e-mail, my first name at pilkguns dot com or you can PM off the Engraver’s Café.

Campers, both tents and motorhomes are welcome to stay at our place.

Here is some room info as of Feb 14. Check for AAA or AARP/Senior rates.

Regency Inn – $27 sgl, $29.98 dbl
Includes: Continental Breakfast, Free Wireless Internet, 12 and under free
Phone: 931-924-2221

American Eagle - $69.95 dbl queen, $74.95 king
Includes: Continental Breakfast, Free Wireless Internet, 12 and under free
Phone: 931-924-8880

SmokeHouse Lodge - $65
Includes: Free Wireless Internet, 12 and under free
Phone: 931-924-2268
The SmokeHouse also has a nice restaurant and full service campground and cabin rentals as well.
This is a special rate, just mention Engrave-In

For Bed and Breakfast or Cabin Rentals go to: www.monteaglechamber.com

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is list of names who have said they are attending so far:

Simon Lyton
Amayak Stepanyan
Tim Halloran
Jack Davenport and Pamela Chestnut
Lloyd McConnell
Kerry Bogan and wife
David and Kathy Bain
Jim Small
Frank Hodney
Vilts and wife
Peter Elovich
Roger Bleile and wife
Finn La Rue
Les Holmes
Ray Cover
Ian Morrison+Stephanie
CJ Allan+Robin+Jzena
Jerry and Joan Seymour
Paul Hamler
Tim Wells
David Gruber
Jim Hall +5
David Broadwell
Mark Simpson
Jason and Molly Dumars
Don Cowles
David Cowles.
Mike Koller +1
Yves Halliburton
Shanna H. Moran
Jim Olivencia
John Hise
Bill and Mary Moody
Ernie and Shiloh
Jim Parker +1
Joe Keeslar
Bryan Clary
Christine

I will keep adding names as folks RSVP so we can keep a number tally

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If any of you really want the party to start early, you can come to Thunder On the Rock with Charlie Daniels and Dr. Hook.
http://www.thunderontherockonline.com/
this takes place the weekend before the Engrave-In on the same road about 3 miles past my house. There will be hundreds of bikes and LOTS of cops up and down my road for two days prior and and one day after.

Maybe Tira can setup a booth and do some bike engraving demos onsite!

Last edited:

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
I guess my big question is, "where is all of this happening?" Or do I have to click all the links and guess?

JamesO

What is cool for you beegee is that if you drove in a staight line, heading west, for let's say 610+ miles, you would be there:D Sorry I could not resist- plus I looked you up on Map Quest. Scott is in Monteagle, TN! I think!

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just heard from Vilts in Estonia, and assuming he can get a US Visa, he and his wife will come over for the Blade Show and the Engrave-In.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts, Come on, Ya'll will have so much fun you may send for all your engraving equipment...
Let us know what you need for a visa, just to visit you may not need one unless you plan to stay an extended period... I'm no expert, but , someone on this forum must know what you need...

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I have this crazy idea to go to US. Never been there before, so if all goes well this will be a trip of a life. Maybe I can even see an engraved gun in real life and custom knives from top makers (Blade Show, here I come). It's weird to think how many photos I have seen, but not a single one in physical form, either knife or gun.

I don't think I need an invitation or anything to get the visa, just some documents from job, proof that I have the finances, reason to go there etc. But I will need a visa, that is sure. I'll have an interview at embassy this Friday and should know the answer next week. But if not this year, then from next year we should be able to go there without visa.

The plan right now is to arrive week or so before Blade Show and travel around. Do you guys know any good gun or related museums to engraving somewhere near Washington, Atlanta or thereabouts? I will rent a car and as gas is 3x cheaper than here, then I could drive around as much as my bottom can take.

Actually any ideas about what to do for a week in US is welcome :).

Viljo

Andrew Biggs

The visa thing depends on what country you originate from. Coming from New Zealand I can visit the USA for a holiday for up to either 30 or 60 days (I've forgotten which) without a visa as we are a "prefererred country". Some other parts of the world you need a visa regardless of the duration of your stay.

A travel agent will tell you immediatley what you will need, depending on what part of the world you come from.

Either way it's very straight forward. Do all your paperwork early and make sure that it is filled out correctly. With your passport make sure that it is up to date. Some older passports with certain ranges of serial numbers can now be invalid because of fraud issues etc.

Cheers
Andrew

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts, We welcome you to the USA...
Bring a laptop and keep in touch with us, and let us know where you are and some one will tell you where to get the best Grits and all the critters we eat...
Come-On...
Jerry

Andrew Biggs

Another thing to keep in mind is connecting flights. Allow plenty of time from when you arrive to catching the next flight.

The American customs/immigration are very good at processing large quantaties of people and the security checks are pretty good......................but.................the big thing to remember is that there are also a zillion other people in the lines.

The other thing is that the international airports are bigger than Texas. They are minature cities and if you are not used to them they can be quite daunting!!!. The authorities are great and well used to bewildered travellers asking for assistance. In San Francisco Mary and I had a delightful ride on the airbus travelling around the perimeter of the airport and damn near getting arrested for going through an area that we wern't supposed to, plus going the wrong way through security.

Give yourself plenty of time to orientate yourself and catch connecting flights.

I sure hope you can make it Vilts.............you're going to just love the experience. :D

Cheers
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts,

Keep in mind the scale of the U.S.A. - a quick check shows that it's about 1,000KM from Washington, DC to the BLADE show in Atlanta (MapQuest says it's a 10hr drive).

The Headquarters of the NRA (National Rifle Association) has an incredible museum - http://www.nra.org and browse around.

One thing to plan ahead on: you know you'll have some goodies to take home that you won't be able to take on your luggage so make sure you know how to ship them home. If you're not already up on the right way to do it, look for a knife collector in your area - they're sure to know.

Just my luck that we won't be making BLADE this year. Seems like we make it every other year though so if you're there next year...

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Sam,

Can you make this a sticky for the next few weeks so it remains easy to find?

Thanks,

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ray: Someone can just bump it to the top each day if you don't mind. I've gotten a lot of requests to stick threads, and also a lot of request to remove stickies entirely. As hard as I try I can't please everyone.
Cheers / ~Sam

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
It's official now, me and my wife can come! Just today got my passport with 10 year US visa in it, my darling wife got it on Monday already.

I already bought the plane tickets too. We'll arrive to Atlanta at 27th of May, so we have few days to hang around before the real fun begins.

Me is happy-happy :D