Ball vise purchase

Jex

I was looking to copy this for my first vise http//www.homemadetools.net/homemade-engraver-s-bowl-vice
Being totally uneducated in the art of engraving. I'm not really sure on the use of the ball vise. At first I thought it was to rotate the part. But after reading this thread I'm thinking it is just for holding your work piece horizontal.

So if I were to build that I would be better off not having the vise rotate. And instead build a rotating table for it to sit on?
Further more If I'm just doing flat practice pieces all I'd need is a rotating base with a drill press vise. Or something like
?

Chujybear

Elite Cafe Member
I was looking to copy this for my first vise http//www.homemadetools.net/homemade-engraver-s-bowl-vice
Being totally uneducated in the art of engraving. I'm not really sure on the use of the ball vise. At first I thought it was to rotate the part. But after reading this thread I'm thinking it is just for holding your work piece horizontal.

So if I were to build that I would be better off not having the vise rotate. And instead build a rotating table for it to sit on?
Further more If I'm just doing flat practice pieces all I'd need is a rotating base with a drill press vise. Or something like
?

i love that vise.. all you need for flat work, but ya, with a turntable all you need is clamping, then you would have the ability to centre your rotation. which is more than just useful for under a scope, it will make smooth curves much more easy (tho they arent that hard on a conventional ball vise with an eccentric rotation)

JJ Roberts

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought a vise from Ray LeTourneau 45lb. when they first came out he made 500 of them made cost $450 John Temple now makes them,great for gun engraving. J.J.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not bidding high enough for a good engraving block is a vice! But not the kind you want! An engraver without a good vice may end up with a bad case of engravers block! Better yet a good engraver shouldn't be perfect! He/She should have lots of vices! Better to have a good vise than risk becoming a blockhead!

Last edited:

Chujybear

Elite Cafe Member
Not bidding high enough for a good engraving block is a vice! But not the kind you want! An engraver without a good vice may end up with a bad case of engravers block! Better yet a good engraver shouldn't be perfect! He/She should have lots of vices! Better to have a good vise than risk becoming a blockhead!
tho you may be ball headed by the time its all sorted

Latest posts

Sponsors