Engrave-In Fun Day, Monday after Blade

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Plans are really swinging for this event on JUNE 11th. Party will start Sunday evening the 10th as people get up here from the Blade show , with campfire and conversation under the stars. I suspect Sam and Abby might do a little picking and singing as well. Monday morning, not too early depending on how late the previous night went we will have some short seminars put on by myself , Ray Cover, Sam Alfano, and a banjo engraver named Joyce Carroll .

Beginners, Experts, Wannabes, Patrons, Customers if you are interested in engraving, please come. Spouses and or significant others of any of the above are also welcome. We will have engraving systems from GRS, Ngraver, and Lindsay set up for people to try. My bench and Ray Covers will be set up to observe and try. I will have some of my engraved items that I have collected from around the world on display for discussion as well as scroll samples from various art forms. We will have smoked chicken dinner on the grounds for lunch on Monday. That’s worth coming for believe me. If you want to bring something to eat that’s fine, or just bring yourself that’s fine too.

We will have some short seminars, 30-40 minutes in length, with time for questions. Probably we will do two before lunch and two after.

Joyce Carroll will be giving a talk about banjo engraving, showing some traditional styles and techniques. I happen to know that she is also an excellent ventriloquist, and rumor has it she may have a friend with her that wants to learn engraving but is afraid of sharp points.

Ray Cover will speak about Principles and Elements of Design as applied to Engraving. If you understand the basic principles of design, you don’t need a systemic set of rules to follow to achieve stunning pieces. Using the overall layout and placement of objects lead your mind to travel from one point to another.

Sam Alfano will give a demonstration about photographing engraving that gives a nice even lighting and makes the engraving pop.

I will give talk about……. Well, we can take show of hands and see which is more interesting to the attendees. I can do one on Ergonomics, which is a fancy word for bench design and theory for most efficient work process or I can do one on Design Parameters, using shapes or patterns present on the object itself as the basis for scroll design.

Of course, there will lots of unstructured time to mingle, ask questions, try techniques. BRING YOUR STUFF, bring your tools, bring your work, bring your questions… BRING YOUR BENCH if you want . I would love to have 3 or 4 benches set up besides mine and Ray’s . This is an Engrave-In…. so bring your stuff to engrave if you can.

Some beautiful views here as well, a 10 minute walk will bring you the bluffs on our property, where you can see some 70 mile vistas. Another bonus, if you want to try a world class airgun or two, we can let you give that a whirl as well.

For the wives in attendance, maybe Rhonda will consider new applicants for WOSEM, Wives Of Self-Employed Men, a club she formed some years ago when three of us guys, a wood carver, a knifemaker and myself, all went into the backyard to work everyday while the wives all drove an hour to work each day. Of course, Rhonda has long since joined the self-employed category, but believe me she still has much to say in this regard, especially on the male side….

Now I do need to folks to start RSVP,ing to my e-mail, my first name at pilkguns dot come or you can PM off the Engraver’s Café.

known attendee’s
Ray Cover
Mark Simpson
Don Cowles
Tim Welles
Jim Hall +2
Mike Cirelli +2
Joyce Carroll
Scott Pilkington + 5
Tim and Kelly Adlam
Sam and Abby Alfano
Brian Hochstrat
Ian Morrison
Jerry and Joan Seymour
Hamilton Bowen
John Heiss
John Barraclough
Ray Phillips
Joe Mason
Tex Skow
David Gruber
Jim Parker and friend
Jack and Pam Davenport
Lester Holmes
Charles Walker
Miranda Hoffman + 5
Amayak Stepanyan
Don Bell
Dennis Greenbaum
Bryan Rigsby
Peter Elovich
Fred Marrinan
Paul Hamler

I have been asked about Hotels and Directions. Interstate 24 is about 3 miles from the house. Monteagle has two exits.

HOTEL INFO, we have a Days Inn 931-924-2900, Best Western/Smokehouse 931-924-2091, American Eagle Inn 931-924-8880 right now we are calling around trying to get a special rate at one of them...

it seems that the American Eagle is probably the best bang for the dollar right now... its 69 a night, and is less than a year old, and is in walking distance to a liquor store and McDonalds, depending on where your interests like. They said they would give us a discount if there was 5 or more rooms rented.

MOTOR HOMES, the Smokehouse/ Best Western 931-924-2091 has big full service campground. We actually lived there for 6 months, I had my engraving shop set in on one camping trailer and Rhonda and I were living in the second one, while we were looking for what became this property.

CAMPING, we live on 81 acres, so if you want to bring a camper, or pitch a tent, thats fine. We can park 40 feet rigs along the powerline coming in. No hookups though sorry.

KIDS, yes they can come too if you like, I have an 11 year old and 13 year old, with woods and creeks, with snakes,lizards and frogs as well as a horse or two so if you have kids and are so inclined, we will try to keep them out of your hair.

COSTS.... right now it's free. If you want to make a contribution to food fund or something like that at the end, thats up to you.

This is going to be as good or better than a FEGA show get together, so make your plans now.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

It looks as though you've arranged a really great happening Scott. You guys are incredibley lucky to have this to go to.

I would give my eye teeth to be there. Trouble is I'm on the other side of the world dammit and the VISA card can only take so much of a hammering. One day!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That does sound incredible Scott. As an engraver wanna-be/novice, I would love to go also. I've never been to Blade either and making the trip would be sensational i'm sure. Unfortunately, I am in a "transitional" position at work and if I make it to Blade it would probably be an "iron butt" trip on the motorcycle.

I would love to attend your gathering but could not say for sure if I can make it this far in advance.

It sounds like a better event than Blade!

Peter

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Guys I Envy You,
I would Not Just Give My Left Tooth For This, But You Know What I Mean,
I had A Situajion a Year or 2 Ago, Where I Exported AutomaTic's to A GENTLEMAN in the States, After Informing Him That It Was Not Desirable in his Area, He Said That I Should Send it in as German Silver Engraved Knife and Fork Sets, I in my WISDOM stipulated that it had Mammoth Ivory on It, They Checked, That Is Customs, Saw The Auto's and Confiscated,!! So Me 10 year Ban!! "Persona Non Grata" Exporting Elegal Articles into The States,!!
I Already Applied For A Table At The Blade Show,!! And Upon Going For My Visa,!! Had This Reply,

So Guys EnJoy>!!!!!

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Scott,:)

Can you do me a favor? Can you put Mark on his own line in the list above? The way you got it listed it makes us look like a couple. Not to be a homophobe or anything it just ....................... doesn't look right:eek:

Ray

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good one.:D Mark's last name is Simpson. He has taken one of my classes. He also the guy who is making those portable benches that I use.

Ray

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray,
Are you gonna be able to teach Mark how to fly fish when you get here?

Somebody needs to, the poor guy.:rolleyes:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK OK we don't need to be pointing out the fact that Mark has out fished me the last few times out.;)

He only had me by about four fish at the end of the day. WHen the counts are in the high 20s and low 30s that aint bad.:)

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You may want to include in this thread the dates for the knife show since this event follows the knife show and not everyone will be familiar with that date.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe,

The bunch of us don't get the opportunity to get together very often, especially for such a social gathering. We run into each other at shows sometimes but how much time do we actually get to spend together at a show.

Scott is right. You need to just take the extra day and do it.

Ray

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK OK we don't need to be pointing out the fact that Mark has out fished me the last few times out.;)

He only had me by about four fish at the end of the day. WHen the counts are in the high 20s and low 30s that aint bad.:)

So let me remember what my record was... like 6? hahaha
Pretending to be a fly ain't as easy as some folks think.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
besides Joe, I hear a rumor that Tim is going to fly one of them pretty planes up and give everybody rides in between sessions. Maybe he could just fly you on home afterwards.

Last edited:

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
OK, I will try to change up my schedule. I also got someone riding with me that I will need to talk with. I know it will be a lot of fun. Will this be an all day thing?

Joe

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe, we are going to do two sessions in the morning and two after lunch. Trying not to make the thing too structured, but I would say let it go till 3 or 4ish... Not sure how deep you are into Mississippi, but you might get home by dark.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Things to bring

Scott give us an idea of what to bring,You don't need 200 bags of potatos chips.
Some will be in transit and can stop by any Publix or Walmart and pick up something to bring.
Contributions are nice but someone has to do the shopping...
#1 Drinks-Coke-Pepsi
#2 Coffee-tea-milk
#3+ Jack Danile's (You are next to the source, but its DRY... I think almost all that area is DRY...
#4 Beer of chioce
#5 MEAT (Ribs-Chicken-burgers-hot dogs- Fresh caught Lobster-Shrimp and-Aged Angus or
Herford Tenderlion W/South African Lobster...

Can anyone think of anything else???

JL Seymour

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
1 and 2 I think we can handle unless you like something really esoteric, then better bring it yourself.

3 and 4, for the most part thats a BYOB thing, although we have a few bottles of accumulated things that will be available for those inclined. Including a recently purchased bottle of Crown Royal that was bought for the box art rather than the bottle contents.

5.....hmmmmm
We have arranged for a big smoker to do the honors to the cows and chickens particpating in our gathering, and it will start putting out heat about 6 am on Monday. But since you are down that way in the land of fresh sea critters and are coming up..... lets talk offline maybe, we could have a shrimp/lobster pot a boiling as well.