Engraving Instruction in California

NikSergio

Hello all,

I was wondering if I may solicit some advice in finding some basic engraving courses. As of now it appears my best option is to take some classes at the GRS training center. Before I sign up I was wondering if there is anyone who knows of and could recommend any classes in California. I have looked into the Stockton Jewelry Art School with Brian Marshall as it is fairly close to home but have not been able to get in contact. I have called a couple times not able to leave a message and the email I’ve sent has bounced. In Reading these forums I’ve read that he’s a great instructor and would love to learn from him but I can only assume it may no longer be an option. Is there another instructor or school near the west coast that some one could recommend?

thank you in advance, Nik.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian hasn't been around much lately. I don't know what his status is but he pops in from time to time. He might be retired but I don't know for certain. I can't think of a school on the west coast but you might try posting in my facebook group ENGRAVING BENCH and see if there's a teacher or a member who can help you get started.

Si si

I’m in Northern California and have tried to reach out to Brian but was told he was moving then I was told he might be dong a few small classes this year. So I dont know for sure but I’d love to get in one of his classes. I know one other person who is likewise well know that’s currently down the way from me who teaches but I have to ask if it’s okay to post his info here. Where are you located?

NikSergio

Brian hasn't been around much lately. I don't know what his status is but he pops in from time to time. He might be retired but I don't know for certain. I can't think of a school on the west coast but you might try posting in my facebook group ENGRAVING BENCH and see if there's a teacher or a member who can help you get started.
Thank you for the input Sam, I will look into the Facebook group.

NikSergio

I’m in Northern California and have tried to reach out to Brian but was told he was moving then I was told he might be dong a few small classes this year. So I dont know for sure but I’d love to get in one of his classes. I know one other person who is likewise well know that’s currently down the way from me who teaches but I have to ask if it’s okay to post his info here. Where are you located?
Hey Sky, thank you for the reply. Im in the Bay Area but can drive anywhere. if you hear of any classes happening and can throw me in the loop I’d be super grateful.

Si si

I never heard back from the guy but once I do I’ll abreast you. Sorry

Nixels

Hi NikSergio: What kind of engraving are you looking to learn? What kind of tools do you want to use? Hand, or air-hammer?

NikSergio

Hi NikSergio: What kind of engraving are you looking to learn? What kind of tools do you want to use? Hand, or air-hammer?
Hi Nixels,
Sorry for the delay in response. I am interested in hand engraving. I’ve recently signed up for an engraving class at GRS. I’ll take my first classes there. Do you know of some local instructors in California? I’m sure that after GRS I will be looking for further instruction. Thanks for your response.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
This is , sadly, now a standard dilemma for those on the west coast. I am also in the East Bay. I was fortunate enough to attend the last (?) of the NRA sponsored classes at Susanville and one of Brian's last (?) classes in Stockton. Going forward it looks like in person instruction is going to involve air travel (or long road trips). Sadly a lot of institutions seem to now be run by the inmates who are focussed on off the shelf "clip ons" for "black guns" and not hand work so course offerings are declining (Trinidad's double gun course comes to mind). The age profile of experts and instructors looking at retirement doesn't help either frankly ( I say that as someone of comparable age). I've accepted that I need to look farther afield to the likes of GRS and am glad they're still available.
Just my thoughts.
Jeremy

Latest posts

Sponsors