Leaf script drawing

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Having a little drawing fun with leaf script.
~Sam

Attachments

• C-sm.jpg
    C-sm.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 323

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,
Out of curiosity, how much time has this script taken you?

Thanks, Glenn

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Wow,Sam!
Just a beautiful design and an outstanding drawing.
Some questions, if I may.
What are we seeing?
Is this a scan of your original drawing?
Or is it a photograph of the drawing?
With value manipulation in Photoshop? Maybe?
It has such a wonderful soft yet crisp presentation.
I hope you cut it and make castings for sale.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam: when you do a drawing such as this, do you use a "guide sheet" to look at ? or does this just come straight out of the pencil without thinking about it ?

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful Sam, Takes me back to the old days when my bread and butter was lettering. Not many doing it this well these days. It seems like for years everyone was afraid of it. Good to see these old styles comming back. Are you going to put this on something? If you do, show us when your through............Ron S

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron,

That's an interesting comment. I used to hate doing lettering of any kind because I had not taken the time to get good at it. A while back I set myself to task to practice and get better at it and now I actually enjoy doing it.

Ray

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Ray, actually it is procedural once you know the styles and there is pretty good money in it too, but you have to have a lot of clients. It is rather enjoyable once you learn the procedures of layout. Right?

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam, Great!!
How about Showing Me a B as well, that would make my Initials!!:cool:
I have been playing around with it But BAD!!:eek:
Do You Use a Simple Script as The Bone or Spine?

ChrisB.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks guys. The drawing is the size of a common sketch pad. I had no reference...just made it up as I went along. The procedure I use is here.

Chris: Yes, it's made from a script "C".
Ron: I do a fair amount of lettering, but unfortunately not much of this style.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I love it, I've seen the tutorial that you just posted but just havn't tried it yet. I will though. Dwayne

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, one word, elegant.
And Ron, maybe lettering will be book to consider in the future?:D
thanks for showing Sam, inspiring for beginners.
Kent

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kent, if you are an occupational engraver you need all the work you can get and I would recommend it for any one wanting to make their life easier as far as getting work is concerned. It fills in a lot of space in time between the big jobs. Large cities can supply you with a lot of work if you know how to go about getting it providing you develope a rep doing lettering. It also is quite enjoyable, the jobs are short and you get your money right away. Learning letter structures is the key, because you design out of your head once you understand the styles. It is fairly fast work. I have bveen thinking about writing some more, but that last experience was a bummer. It took me six years to get that book into print and I had troubles after the printing. Got 250 bad copies and took a year to get that rectified. Would be a good subject though and needed for future engravers. wonder if there is enough interest?

Ron S

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, you got to be kidding, if its anything like your 1st or the big kahuna 2nd scroll books it would/ should be a bombshell. Your books are a constant reference on my bench. your latest scroll book is beyond classic imho.
Kent

Latest posts

Sponsors