Question: Looking for engraver

For those who requested photos of whats to be engraved go to http://www.exoticchoppers.com/engraving
For reference shots i previously posted whos sites to google

Chris M... i'm going to have to pass on your offer on my shovelhead bike, reason being i dont want to take or split anything i can deliver as far as PR. I might be over extending myself and i want this to be a "unique" oportunity for 1 person. But THANK YOU!

have a good weekend all

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Yeah Ken, one of these days when we finally get together we'll reminisce about the "good ol' times" we had on the forum :beerchug:

Paul, no problem. Dave's a good friend and he's looking forward to the opportunity. I don't want it to seem like I'm moving in on him after I just got off the phone with him. That's why I offered to do an unrelated project in exchange for custom paint.

Take care.

Chris

Chris, your a good man... I'm sure we can do something in the near future. I want to pimp you out as well if we do something down the line, your very talented. Oh, i'm cheering for David, i hope he nails it, but i want to give all a fair shot.

-Paul

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Paul, Exotic Choppers,

This has become one of the livelyest theads we have had in some time. I have responded several times to things being said, but never to you.

This is for you Paul, - - - - - - -

Thank you for contrubuting to the the beauty of this world by building unique and artistic machines (Choppers).

I should hope you are known throughout the world for your kind of art, if not, I wish that for you.

So Paul, I will look for your art, - - - on down the road.

I don't want you to need these Guys to sell your stuff.

A Guy like Chris Malouf does not need "Exotic Coppers" to sell his stuff.

Machines are cool, engraving is cool, if you Guys did something together, that would be awsome.

Charlie

Last edited:

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
Chris,

Thanks...
thanks for your time on this list
your work you post, which is always very good. (to my newbe eyes at least)
and in my opinion, your grounded views and work mentality, and how engraving fits into them.

ok, enough sappy crap, let's get a beer. :beerchug:

John C.

Hey all,
my last post here,Bike week is in two weeks, and with another bike in magazine I'm getting a little busy here... first off I'd like to thank the Forum owner (i think that's Sam) himself for letting me use the forum. I'd also like to thank everyone who replied, and who is trying for the opportunity. I see much talent in here and i wish ALL to prosper with their gift of engraving. Beginners, it doesn't always happen overnight but keep going and it will follow. Enroll in engravers trade school, maybe even 2 different schools, whats that saying more than one way to skin a cat?? I hope to take a stab at it myself in the future.
Just to recap, see all my postings for reference shots of what I'm looking for, my offer and what you will actually be engraving. Please email your larger scroll "samples" in aluminum to me. Its going to be only for one person, one bike, like i said its not a good opportunity for everyone, just one. best of luck to all!
Thank you,
Paul Kokesh
Exotic Choppers

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,
I would also say your perspective sounds right on the money to me.

Reminds me of a conversation I had when discussing the money side of engraving some time ago. The fellow said "I know a LOT of wealthy people that became engravers, but not too many engravers that became wealthy".

I do it because I enjoy it and it gives me some satisfaction. If I needed to support myself entirely from it, that would be a different situation, although I hope to SUPPLEMENT my income eventually.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter, and others. no offense but if you're not doing it for money you're not an engraver;
you're an amateur.
Amateurs have produced great stuff because they have talent and 'forever' to do it. I've seen this in my field; and I think it applies in every field of hand work where talent and hand skills come together.
In this case I wonder what an exotic chopper sells for: and what Chris' price for his work would add to the price of that chopper. And is Exotic Choppers looking for a boy to do a man's work?
Kevin

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
kevin p

Okay Kevin P. please elaborate on the part where you typed "if you are not doing it for money you are not an engraver, you are an amateur". Is it okay to switch back and forth between amateur and engraver status or should you maintain only one status? Anyways, now I think that I was an amateur farmer today. Come 3 am I will be an amateur farmer again. It is alot more fun being an amateur tat carves on metal for no money. Thanks for the chuckle.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin,
No offense taken, as you are correct to some extent. My plan after spending 30 years in the corporate world as a square peg in a round hole as a NON bureaucrat, has caused me to want to get some level of pleasure and satisfaction out of the things I spend my time on.

If I had the added pressure of NEEDING the income to support myself, it would probably force me to improve much quicker or get into another line of work, but I am not in that situation. Good or bad i'm not sure, but I am at an age that I realize my mortality, and like to spend time doing things I may not be able to in 5 - 10 years from now.

I would catagorize myself more as a hobbyist at this point, but I do hope to improve my skills to a level that generates income.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay Kevin P. please elaborate on the part where you typed "if you are not doing it for money you are not an engraver, you are an amateur". Is it okay to switch back and forth between amateur and engraver status or should you maintain only one status? Anyways, now I think that I was an amateur farmer today. Come 3 am I will be an amateur farmer again. It is alot more fun being an amateur tat carves on metal for no money. Thanks for the chuckle.

Perhaps I am making too fine a distinction but . . . .
The demands of the marketplace raise the everyday quality of a person's work. Commerce challenges the creativity and inventiveness of the artisan.
I try to be careful in my choice of words as in artist/artisan/amateur. Those who work with their hands and hearts are artisans.
The word artist is an honorific; the highest compliment that can be given. I just think that one should not apply that term to oneself. Accept it gratefully if someone refers to you as an artist.

Amateur/dilettante which my Pocket Oxford Dictionary lists under the same heading [I was checking the spelling of dilettante]. Historically amateurs were held in high regard; dilettantes were dabblers. In my personal experience some of the most awesome lapidary work I've ever seen was done by amateurs. Amateurs work to a standard of perfection where time is not considered a factor.

I certainly do not intend to demean anyone's efforts at any level; we're all going for quality. In my engraving efforts I just try to keep improving while I wonder ( as in awe ) at the quality of some of the work posted on this forum.
I want to add engraving skills to my work to add another element. And I think if it is well done it will add to the commerce appeal (as in selling) of what I do.
Kevin
www.kevinpatrickkelly.com

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter I understand what you're saying. We deal with sometimes conflicting demands.

I've been fortunate in that I earn a living (sometimes, it comes close to not) doing work that I love to do. My favorite time is working in my studio. I've elaborated in the previous post.
I'm aware how lucky I am.
Kevin