Question: Looking for engraver

Hello all...

I'm Paul from Exotic Choppers Inc. in Orlando FL. I have a project shop show bike coming up. We are looking for an engraver to do some large scroll work/some other iconic art on aluminum parts. In exchange we can give you some "PR", link on our website (300-1000 daily hits), a story on you in US Rider News, all bikes we build get featured in National and local magazines with credits listed, as well as National bike shows, and $$,... we are featured in HOT BIKE MAGAZINE Nov.09 issue(on sale now 9/22/09). We are looking for someone who is trying to make a name for themselves, NO NOVICES please!, or someone who is looking to gain some PR and work from another field other than guns and knives.... Up for negotiation..

thank you for your time,
Paul Kokesh
Paul@exoticchoppers.com

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Paul. I can assure you that you're going to get what you're willing to pay for. There are many excellent engravers in this forum who can deliver what you're looking for, but get your checkbook out! :)
Cheers / ~Sam

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Paul,I remember trading my engraving for PR one time through a very well known pistolsmith.
The pistolsmith was promised to be featured on the cover of The American Rifleman magazine. I jumped at the chance.
When then issue came out,the editor decided not put the pistolsmiths' gun, and therefore my work on the cover, and decided, for lack of print space, to omit any reference to me in the article.
I became just "the engraver".
The pistolsmith humbly apologized for my financial loss and wished me all the best.
Those darned editors......

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Paul,
Would you give up a title and a chopper for an engraver to engrave for some PR exposure on our forum or in our FEGA magazine? An engraver has only his time to sell for a making a living. Turn around is fair play.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian: Yeah, I've been stung that way myself. It's one of those lessons that are hard-learned. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "look at the exposure you're going to get" when someone wanted free work. No doubt there are opportunities that might be worth the risk, but I'm not willing to risk it. No offense to Paul. I certainly don't blame him for making the offer, and maybe someone will take him up on it.
~Sam

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I agree and there's no offense aimed at Paul.
For now,I believe his intentions are good and hopefully, it will become a "Win-Win" situation for all involved.
As a free lance writer and a member of the American Press Association, I know my written words are in complete control of someone else, i.e. editors.
I can write and promise all I want to anyone, but the Editor in chief decides what goes to press.
He makes his decisions for the financial interests of the Magazine, not mine.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, i see all of your points, but then again you are all or mostly should i say "made Engravers". Maybe i didn't make myself clear, i don't mean to offend anyone here. The part where i said "in exchange for some PR as well as compensation", the compensation part means money. I don't expect any "Expert Engraver" to do this, but i am not looking for a person that just got their tools yesterday. Maybe someone who has been taking classes and practiced a bit looking to get out on their own and get some rep and start off an impressive portfolio. You can go to exoticchoppers.com to see my reputation and see we have a bike featured in Hot Bike Magazine on news stands now. Google us as well, Search us on- You Tube, Google- Thunder Roads Alabama and look at another bike of ours in there as well this month and next month if i'm not mistaken. I'm sure many of you are not interested, but it might be a great opportunity for someone. CJ has recieved great PR from doing Indian Larrys bike(if anyone knows that engraver or bike builder that passed). thanks for your time

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paul,

It might help if you gave us a list of what the job contains in the way of parts and coverage that your looking for. The size of the job may make a difference.

If it is a week worth work you might get a guy looking to break into bikes to give it a shot. If its a couple months work it will be harder to find someone to work for PR and a nominal compensation.

My 2 cents,

Ray

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
I have been following this thread to see what is being said.

The kind of engraving these guys do really don't lend itself to bikes.

Isn't there some CNC art work that would be more suited?

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Charlie,

Hand engraving lends itself very well to motorcycles. It's been done since the 60's but faded for awhile. It's making a big come back. The more exposure hand engraving gets, the better for all those who are/will be doing it.

I've already spoken with Paul a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't meet his requirements for price which ultimately brought him to the forum and the subsequent dogpiling he has sadly recieved. He seemed like a straight up guy. Since this thread began, he has found someone who I believe will be able to meet his needs and do a great job for him.

These rocker covers, completed a couple of months ago, just came back from chrome plating a couple of weeks ago. Basic gun scroll with relieved, bead punched background .... looks awesome in the sunlight. Nothing but full coverage will suffice for this customer ... my favorite kind of customer :) FYI ... these rockers are $800 to $1000 depending on the amount of prep work and/or plating required.

Hopefully Paul will want to go ballsout on one of his customs and we will have an opportunity to work together in the future. Good engraving with extensive coverage can increase the resale value of a bike by 10 times the initial investment.

Last edited:

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
My Virginian Buddy.

Thanks for showing us.

Those are pretty.

I knew you did bikes, but I believe you would engrave anything from a Baby Spoon to a Grave Stone.

isaac

Chris Is that 800 a piece???? or for the set.

I to felt bad for Paul and the dumping he took here and on the other baord, gees what might not be alot of compinsation to one may be a winfall to another, so before speaking to the guy dump on him, I dont get it.

I for one think Engravers work way too cheap to begin with.

I remember at the last FEGA show one of the presenters said that if you get good you could charge as much as 50 bucks an hour, Thats just above poverty level, Plumbers and electricians make more than that.

Im sticking to Jewelry for a while, I can get a whole lot more than that cuttin on something with a high precieved value to start with.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lovely work Chris and certainly of a lot higher standard of engraving than one generally sees on bikes.

Forums are strange things, especially the way stuff can get twisted around from what was originally meant. When I first read the original posting earlier today I certainly didn't get the impression that Paul was after a freebie. The first thing that struck me was he was giving a potentially fantastic opportunity for someone who is perhaps just going professional, to possibly break into a particular market. If this is a straight up offer I sure as heck would have given it a go at the early stages of my career! If it's a genuine opportunity, someone grab it with both hands!!! Offers like this, to possibly break into a particular market don't come along very often. Of course, if anyone takes up the offer, bear in mind it's a whole new ball game and you'll probably have to rejig your setup to cater for large parts.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,
No fine English on it? What a wimp!!
:)
Nice looking!
I'm sure many that spoke up right away have been "bitten" in the past. Many of us have. On the other hand I have done similar things that have worked out well for me in the long run. All I can say is LOTS of communication. Then everyone is happy.
Rex

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Chris,

Now that is some classy Motorcycle engraving to say the least...

Really great job that any bike owner would be very proud of.. (you should be to).

You do gravestones too??:eek:

AirAmp

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Chris, thoses engraved bike parts are much better than a fancy paint job !!!!! Issac; thats not DUMPING young man; they were trying to warn you, that everyone who might say they LOVE you; may not mean it !!!!!

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
LOL yeah Marcus .... if anyone has mastered the art of speaking his mind and having it come out the wrong way it's me.

Rex, I've been bitten too. Made me a lot more confident in holding fast to my pricing structure. There are no exceptions. English scroll would look great on a BSA or a Norton .... that's for sure!

Isaac, that's for the set. A good price too but there are a number of factors that can make these old, sand cast parts creep up in price. The motorcycle market just can't command the same prices as the jewelry or firearms market. I adjust my prices accordingly and take in this type of work only when things are slow. I also try to take in complete bike builds as I have a lot more margin of error in estimating the entire project.

Charlie my friend,

Here in W. Virginia ... the proper Appalachian terminology is:

"etching and gold leafing" is done on guns.

"engraving" is done on grave markers.

I've given up trying to correct folks ... :big grin:

Mike, Rich .... wait for the primary cover I'll be posting soon. I have engraved a grave marker too. Oddly enough, it was for a custom bike builder and good friend. That was when I stopped engraving bikes for two years.

------------

btw ... I think there a couple of good strategies to get your name out there. One is to hitch your wagon to an established shop like right here. Another is do your best work (giving a customer a little more) to get as much of your higher end work as it is possible into circulation and people will find you. Both require monetary and time sacrifices but in the end, the investment will bring the rewards. It can be a bit of a balancing act when making a living at this but it always is when starting any business.

Last edited:
Oh... i expected the usual bashing, this is the internet?? I would never deal with anyone who conducted their manner like some have shown here. Chris Malouf is nothing but professional and a great craftsman, CJ & Otto has proved themselves as well, in the motorcycle market of Engravers. They would be my first choices and are probably the only "known" engravers in the motorcycle world, i bet they did some work on trade or probono to get their foot in the door at one time or another. This whole idea came off a well known Engravers website that said he is looking for a person to help him with his web site in trade for some engraving work, i offered my wife's & my website building services but the offer is expired, so I'm here... i have an engraver stopping in to my shop tomorrow as well as someone else that called emailing me their portfolio. I want everyone interested to run a check on me, criminal, business complaints, my status in the motorcycle world... you be a fool not to. I been burned before, i understand. Stop by the bike shows at Daytona Oct.Bikeweek or stop by my shop... I remember coming out of American motorcycle institute about 20-25 years ago looking for a job at custom motorcycle shops. I got laughed at, they told me take my diploma and wipe my azz with it and stop back in 10 years when i got some experience. I finally got an opportunity in the next state over. I offered to work one week for free and if he didn't like my service I'd go, no questions asked... Three months later i was active manager. Point is, you gotta start somewhere and i know what its like starting off...
I'd like to add, there is no rush on this, spare time, when your in the mood to do engraving. 2, 3. 4 months is fine with me.