NIMSCHKE - a good place to start for beginners

sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
nimschke_scroll.jpg

Learning the style of L.D. Nimschke is a great place for aspiring scroll designers to start. It looks great, has relatively basic shading, and isn't as complex as other styles.

I would suggest drawing this scroll until you can draw it perfectly, then move on to more advanced styles.

Anyone up for the challenge? Let's see what you can do. No tracing. Just draw from observation and post your results.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Question What is about the starting point can I start where i want or are there rules to follow ?
chris

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I can't post pics at present time but make sure you pay attention to the heavy cuts. I like to draw them onto the design before I cut. Notice how they all flow and really make the design stand out. Hopefully someone with computer skills will highlight these areas on the scroll.

sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mike and Jeff...you have exceeded my expectations! Great job!

Now I would suggest continuing by adding a second scroll on the right or directly above, using the same elements as in the scroll you've drawn. The next scroll could be the same size or slightly smaller. Your choice.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
image.jpg
Well, the copying part went ok although some elements are out of porportion. The second part made it fairly obvious I don't have a handle on it. More practice.:drawing:

spadebit

My home is in the central California mountains, a
Jeremiah- attempting Nimschke

Had a go at this while I was baking a cake for supper. So it gave me exactly 20 minutes to get it done. Pulled an old cheek pattern from some 30 years ago and started into it. Don't really think I hit the "Nimschke-ish" feel but I did get it done and the cake was outstanding.

Attachments

• JEREMIAH-1.JPG
    JEREMIAH-1.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 436

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
Jeff, I think you have a better handle on the shading. I found myself putting lines for the sake of putting lines. Going to take more time to wrap my mind around why what things go where.

Sam, most of the instructions I have seen call for a "closed design" for punch dot work so that the dots don't "fall out". The example for this thread obviously doesn't follow that. Am I missing something or am I comparing two different styles?

Vladimir

Hello. I took courage to show you the drawing. Specify, please, its shortcomings. I see some itself (watch a fragment - badly), but I don't know as to correct. Probably I still badly understand a form. Thanks.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Vladimir, the Cold War is over ! Let us know where you are from.

That is a damned good drawing !

The added twist at two o'clock and your shading of the backgroud,tells me that you've been at this quite awhile and are not the novice that you insinuate to be.

Over here we would call you a "Sleeper". An unknown,unproven horse in a horserace that can smoke the competition. ;)

Is that your sculpture in your avatar ?

How about showing some more of your artwork ?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job Vladimir. If you cut as well as you draw, we'd love to see some more work. I think you captured the firm pretty well. The one difference I notice would be that your leaves get thinner towards the center and show more backbone where Nimschke keeps the leaves uniform throughout.
Thanks for posting it!
Layne

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
i will try again sam , i think i got the proportion of the scroll wrong and some elements were bigger than they should be , some elements didnt touch the backbone and there wer flat spots and the shading was crappy and i wasnt sure if i eas trying to duplicate or just use it as a rough giude . pointers welcome though , thanks for commenting

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam.... Mike, I don't find shading too difficult it's knowing what leaf should go where and what direction and so on. As Sam described perfectly and I'm paraphrasing somewhat "drawing scroll is like building a repertoire so to speak to be able to pull from".

Latest posts

Sponsors