Question about coloring

Hey everyone

Recently i figured i wanted to try engraving/ carving for some projects.
But i ran into a problem.

Here is the link were i got the idea from
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCPD15KuRjegCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

At the end he shows it being colored.

I sorta figured out how he engraved this piece but i dont have a clue how he colored the titanium and made it realistic.
So do you guys know what he used to color this piece.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the paint is a selective resist. applied to areas that are to get a different olor. once colorized, a given area is painted with resist, and a different color is applied. and so on, till the project is completed.
to do this, the ti must be carefully cleaned, and it's best to apply an etching acid to give "tooth" to allow the anodization to more effectively achieve the desired color.
the different colors all require different voltages to get the desired effect. i've fooled with the technique enough to know i don't enjoy the process. to do this, one must use a variable power supply with dc output. the one i use is a pricey one. it converts 110 ac to 1-130 volts dc.

monk

Staff member
Hey everyone

Recently i figured i wanted to try engraving/ carving for some projects.
But i ran into a problem.

Here is the link were i got the idea from
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUp6lSL4Z0k&psig=AOvVaw3XJTDQmIUp1tRlG2C5Me7H&ust=1583834474742000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCPD15KuRjegCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

At the end he shows it being colored.

I sorta figured out how he engraved this piece but i dont have a clue how he colored the titanium and made it realistic.
So do you guys know what he used to color this piece.
videos like this give me fits!! you don't really see how things are done, and you're blessed with what some call music! ther are many videos, free on the tube showing and telling how the stuff gets done. give youtube a try.

the paint is a selective resist. applied to areas that are to get a different olor. once colorized, a given area is painted with resist, and a different color is applied. and so on, till the project is completed.
to do this, the ti must be carefully cleaned, and it's best to apply an etching acid to give "tooth" to allow the anodization to more effectively achieve the desired color.
the different colors all require different voltages to get the desired effect. i've fooled with the technique enough to know i don't enjoy the process. to do this, one must use a variable power supply with dc output. the one i use is a pricey one. it converts 110 ac to 1-130 volts dc.
I ve seen some people anodize it with batteries. Is this also possible?

monk

Staff member
I ve seen some people anodize it with batteries. Is this also possible?
i think it would be. problem tho, a battery only produces a single voltage. if it did work, you'll be stuck with only one color. with variable dc out, you can get a decent pallet of colors. it's not "plug and play" the part must be immersed in electrolyte to pass current. parts should be pre etched, and very clean.
some folks get fantastic results. like anything worthwhile, one must invest time and a bit of cash. the battery way could produce 3 volts, nine, or twelve volts. concentration of the electrolyte will affet the time needed for results. incidentally, unlike deep etching, the time is rather quick.

sorry for me being unclear. I saw multiple hooking up 9v batteries too each other up too 102 volts i believe and they achieved not as large as a range with a machine but big enough i think. Sorry but I still dont understand the paint part. I see him puttingg on black paint for shading. Does anyone know what this is and with what paint can you stop parts from anodizing. Maybe nail polish. Thanks again for all the help given this quick

videos like this give me fits!! you don't really see how things are done, and you're blessed with what some call music! ther are many videos, free on the tube showing and telling how the stuff gets done. give youtube a try.
Thanks. I almost figured out the anodizing but the black paint he puts on for shading is still unclear to me what it is

monk

Staff member
sorry for me being unclear. I saw multiple hooking up 9v batteries too each other up too 102 volts i believe and they achieved not as large as a range with a machine but big enough i think. Sorry but I still dont understand the paint part. I see him puttingg on black paint for shading. Does anyone know what this is and with what paint can you stop parts from anodizing. Maybe nail polish. Thanks again for all the help given this quick
you can use mulltiple batteries. a problem tho, they will begin to lose power over time. such will lead to getting a color that yer not wanting. much easir to get a variable power supply. more consisten results that way. some do use fingernail polish. most any quLITY PAINT SHOULD DO.

you can use mulltiple batteries. a problem tho, they will begin to lose power over time. such will lead to getting a color that yer not wanting. much easir to get a variable power supply. more consisten results that way. some do use fingernail polish. most any quLITY PAINT SHOULD DO.
Thanks, il probably use some paint. I think il just buy more batteries since il only anodise 5 handle sets.

Latest posts

Sponsors