The State of Hand Engraving Today - Questions from a Beginner

vittocris

Hello everyone.

I’m new to the forum and to the art of hand engraving in general. After months of setting up, studying, and researching, I’ve assembled my workstation with a pneumatic graver. I’ve got about 20 hours of practice so far (it’s all circles and lines for now :)

At the moment, it’s a hobby. I’m a graphic designer by profession, so for the next few years, it will just be hard training in my free time.

My big dream is to create something of my own, and through my long journey, I discovered this art that I’ve fallen in love with.

I’m writing to get some specific expert advice: I’d like to specialize in engraving watch dials of watches I assemble myself. I find some pieces available online and here on the forum to be absolutely stunning. However, it seems to me that dial engraving is not a very common activity; it’s mostly cases and straps. I wonder if there are certain considerations that I’m overlooking.

My intention is to assemble watches by sourcing parts from third-party suppliers, focusing specifically on the engraving of the dial.

Then, a broader question: What is the state of the art of engraving in the modern world? What are the emerging markets, and how do you see the overall demand?

Again, this is just a hobby for now, but if I were to see a potential career on the horizon, I’d commit even more time to it, if possible.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Greetings from Italy!

FEGA