The State of Hand Engraving Today - Questions from a Beginner

vittocris

Hello everyone.

I’m new to the forum and to the art of hand engraving in general. After months of setting up, studying, and researching, I’ve assembled my workstation with a pneumatic graver. I’ve got about 20 hours of practice so far (it’s all circles and lines for now :)

At the moment, it’s a hobby. I’m a graphic designer by profession, so for the next few years, it will just be hard training in my free time.

My big dream is to create something of my own, and through my long journey, I discovered this art that I’ve fallen in love with.

I’m writing to get some specific expert advice: I’d like to specialize in engraving watch dials of watches I assemble myself. I find some pieces available online and here on the forum to be absolutely stunning. However, it seems to me that dial engraving is not a very common activity; it’s mostly cases and straps. I wonder if there are certain considerations that I’m overlooking.

My intention is to assemble watches by sourcing parts from third-party suppliers, focusing specifically on the engraving of the dial.

Then, a broader question: What is the state of the art of engraving in the modern world? What are the emerging markets, and how do you see the overall demand?

Again, this is just a hobby for now, but if I were to see a potential career on the horizon, I’d commit even more time to it, if possible.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Greetings from Italy!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. i'd suggest drawing a few designs to practice on. design is yer expertize-- so practice on cutting useful stuff- dials. i'd think a stereo zoom scope would be a quite valuable addition to your arsenal of weapons. when your work gets to be nice to the eye, gradually develop market/s for what you do. good luck to you

DaveAtWeirs

I imagine one of the main reasons you see more cases than dials engraved is that the dial is usually where the logo and branding are most prominent and recognized. If you're paying a couple of grand to get your 10k+ rolex engraved, part of the appeal would be that everyone would know it's an actual rolex and not just a copy with a cheap movement, which is what the dial does at a glance. Not many people would pay 500 quid for a seal carving on a tin signet ring, they might for a 150 quid silver signet, and with a 18ct yellow gold signet you can have 500 as your minimum charge, both because of the price and because everyone can see its gold. Same with watches, you can charge a grand to fully engrave an alpinist case, and you could easily charge twice that for the same engraving on a rolex. But for either of them to be recognized as worth their base value, you need the dial. Without the original dial, both levels become 'just an homage' to the regular joe soap and even collectors which, in their mind, drops it down to the level of tin signet.
Obviously there are exceptions, but I'd say that's why you don't see engraved dials as much.

However, if you get really good at the engraving and make a name for yourself doing really good hand engraved dials, and having interesting/appealing designs, you'll easily get a few commissions from collectors/watch builders, and potentially a small brand might approach you to commission a few.

Sponsors