Help, please: Trying to get back into engraving. Brain-stuck

jzknives

So basically mr. dubbers was kind enough to sell me an (a personally engraved) Ngraver system awhile ago. I got bit by the engraving bug but ultimately broke down when I was unable to really advance regarding drawing and more importantly transfering. I did some practice plates but none really came out and gave me confidence. Especially on shading which i only managed to get one leaf decent.

The transfer method i used was a laser printer with chemicals (forget which kind). But it was large and basically a mess. I also had issues finding good designs online to use.

Are there better newer transfer methods now?

Basically I just want to get to cutting and becoming confident with my tool. But the transfer problem is becoming big barrier.

I almost wish there was a stencil you could buy you could spraypaint/airbrush that does the full design for you (not like the ones they already sell that have the spirals , i have those) But a full design done with small dots so the stencil stays intact.

EDIT: I was thinking about going to GRS or other schools this spring/summer but covid hit

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
As someone cycling in and out of beginner practice as I have time something I have found that works for me is not to jump straight to images but to find a way of practicing the most mundane cuts in interesting ways. For example, I created a maze on a square plate and practiced parallel straight cuts as close together as possible to fill it in using different patterns. This also practices, start, stop, fore and back cuts. (I'll try to attach an image). Just a thought on a different approach that's working for me. 20200506_193504.jpg
Jeremy 20200506_193504.jpg

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
So basically mr. dubbers was kind enough to sell me an (a personally engraved) Ngraver system awhile ago. I got bit by the engraving bug but ultimately broke down when I was unable to really advance regarding drawing and more importantly transfering. I did some practice plates but none really came out and gave me confidence. Especially on shading which i only managed to get one leaf decent.

The transfer method i used was a laser printer with chemicals (forget which kind). But it was large and basically a mess. I also had issues finding good designs online to use.

Are there better newer transfer methods now?

Basically I just want to get to cutting and becoming confident with my tool. But the transfer problem is becoming big barrier.

I almost wish there was a stencil you could buy you could spraypaint/airbrush that does the full design for you (not like the ones they already sell that have the spirals , i have those) But a full design done with small dots so the stencil stays intact.

EDIT: I was thinking about going to GRS or other schools this spring/summer but covid hit

The GRS plan is a good one. I'd keep that option right on the front burner.

Having the right equipment for acetone transfers is also key. Using the wrong copier/printer for output can make one's life miserable.

There are several threads on the forum which discuss which copiers/printers will work, and won't work.

As long as you have extra "Covid" time on your hands, it's well worth the time to read them.

Best of luck to you! Stick with it!!!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Please don't become one of the many engravers who is a slave to transfers. Pick up a pencil and draw some simple leaves and cut them. I teach my students using transfers and I'm a guilty party setting them up for becoming dependent on them. But I also preach and encourage drawing. In your situation especially, you shouldn't be starting with complicated designs. Simple leaves and straight lines and curves is where to start and they can be easily drawn with a bit of practice. You can do it.

jzknives

Please don't become one of the many engravers who is a slave to transfers. Pick up a pencil and draw some simple leaves and cut them. I teach my students using transfers and I'm a guilty party setting them up for becoming dependent on them. But I also preach and encourage drawing. In your situation especially, you shouldn't be starting with complicated designs. Simple leaves and straight lines and curves is where to start and they can be easily drawn with a bit of practice. You can do it.
thanks sam. Quick question. Is drawing shading important? this is the part I had issues with and gave up on.

Other than that the stencils helped but i wasnt really doing freehand.

Also is there a way to transfer from paper to metal?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
at my last count, there were 342 transfer techniques. a better way-- draw on paper, to size needed, using very soft graphite pencil, then lift with tape, and transfer to object that has wax dabbed on it. compound curves almost force one to direct draw, or waste tons of time. ok, that's # 343

jzknives

any other advice? I know transfers are bad as sam says but i still might need some to get cutting.

monk

Staff member
any other advice? I know transfers are bad as sam says but i still might need some to get cutting.
i don't consider them bad one bit. there are jobs that come now & then that using transfers just make sense. years ago, i began doing the usmc globe & anchor. after having drawn the logo maybe as many as 20 - 30 times, there had to be a faster way. i cut an oversize logo for my pantograph. the logo is no longer a pita ! if you ever get an order to put monograms on tableware, you will appreciate transfers. i say all this assuming you have the needed drawing skills. if not, forget transfers and concentrate on drawing.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try this for transferring. You can use your own drawing. Easily trace, duplicate, mirror drawing segments, adjust your drawing before you cut it, and more. And you don't need a computer or printer just good tracing paper, pencil, tape, and good transfer wax (Sam Alfano's) . Tracing paper works best because it is easier to erase and stays cleaner when you make changes. Also not all tapes are created equal. https://engraverscafe.com/threads/simple-easy-transfers-by-mike-cirelli.4202/

jzknives

kicking myself because i know i have the wax but i cannot locate it. All my engraving stuff is scattered across the house :

monk

Staff member
kicking myself because i know i have the wax but i cannot locate it. All my engraving stuff is scattered across the house :
fuss not ! a lousy can of shoe polish ( wax ) will work till you find yer lost stash. if too greasy or soft, melt in a bit of caandle wax, stir thoroughly, let freeze, enjoy.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As someone cycling in and out of beginner practice as I have time something I have found that works for me is not to jump straight to images but to find a way of practicing the most mundane cuts in interesting ways. For example, I created a maze on a square plate and practiced parallel straight cuts as close together as possible to fill it in using different patterns. This also practices, start, stop, fore and back cuts. (I'll try to attach an image). Just a thought on a different approach that's working for me. View attachment 46180
Jeremy View attachment 46180
I found my way out!
second try:/

TDPurcell

A cheap ink jet printer can produce quality transfers on transparency film. See link with a description of the process.

https://www.engravingschool.com/private/transfers.htm

I am also fairly new to engraving as well, and, as others have suggested, i’m finding that practicing drawing and shading scrolls has been extremely beneficial to developing the actual engraving skills. I think you might see a lot of improvement when you pick up your graver after spending some time drawing. This has been my experience.

I would recommend Ray Cover’s and Lee Griffiths books and Sam Alfano’s video on scroll designs. Also note that Ray’s book discusses various transfer methods, including the use of ink jet printer. Attached is a pic of a transfer I made using Ray’s ink jet transfer technique.

A8BCCFB7-4D12-432F-865B-376647D9651B.jpeg

Sponsors