Who's Who of Engravers Directory , need your help

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A name you mght wish to add to the listing is one Joseph Glahn. He did some work for L.C. Smith and is in the L.C. Smith book by James Brophy.

The Glahn's were an entire family of gun engravers. These are the names I know of: George, Gus, Jacob, Karl, Theodore, and Wilbur A. I am not familiar with a Joseph. L.C.Smith's chief engraver was Albert Krause but he had many people who worked for him over the years.

Roger

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, I'm mistaken. You are correct, it is Jacob Glahn whom I wish to reference. I know that some of the Glahn's did a lot of pistol engraving.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
oh wow, I just saw that I am now an elite 1000 member. Do we have a party with cake and ice cream now?

Yes.

Yes we do.

You supply it of course.

I like chocolate for the cake and... oh let's go with mint for the ice cream - makes a good combo.

:p
Congratulations!
The amazing thing is how high a percentage of your posts are actually useful, unlike some of us more chatty types. :rolleyes:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Just by luck i noticed a post in Barbara`s everything to get started thread that read........

I did the 5 day course with Wayne Parrott a few years ago - and it was one of the best courses I've attended on any subject. I'm not convinced my current efforts do his tuition justice though...

Amazingly a hardly known name pos up twice in a couple of days :cool:

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
Hey, Scott,

The information you are receiving will give both a list of influential engravers and an interesting list of the best engravers around. Why not establish both?

As my son once said, "Go for it Dad."

Les

Paul Chung

Just by luck i noticed a post in Barbara`s everything to get started thread that read........

I did the 5 day course with Wayne Parrott a few years ago - and it was one of the best courses I've attended on any subject. I'm not convinced my current efforts do his tuition justice though...

Amazingly a hardly known name pos up twice in a couple of days :cool:

hey I know wayne. I used to go on day release once a week at sir john cass polytechnic in whitechapel when I was an apprentice and he teached the engraving class there. Very nice chap he was too.
Jeez that was years and years ago

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
hey I know wayne. I used to go on day release once a week at sir john cass polytechnic in whitechapel when I was an apprentice and he teached the engraving class there. Very nice chap he was too.
Jeez that was years and years ago

Thats where i went :thumbs up: back in 1987 :eek:

art65ab

A B Bradshaw master engraver ex Kansas city now resides in countryside in Canada. Virtually only master gun engraver in Canada. see bradshawgunengraver.com for visuals.

art65ab

A B Bradshaw ex Kansas City and Vermont now resides in countryside in Canada. see bradshawgunengraver.com for samples. Is a noted copperplate engraver as well as a Master gun engraver perhaps he could be on your short list. The Browning was featured in a Greek hunt magazine called the Cadillac of Engraving. The Holy grail theme was from the client and is owned by a US man. I think the is potential for this guy after he does a few more years at the bench as thirty five years seems short to learn about engraving let alone make any money or learn about art and selling ones name. He is a quieter engraver and probably the only one in Canada at this time. Art

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Scott, You may want to ad these names to your list, Jim Kelso, Mark Thomas, Chris Malouf and Tom McArle. talented engravers all J.J.

tolesh

I would like to mention Ferd Just of Ferlach, Austria engraver for Joseph Hambrusch gunworks Ferlach, Austria.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
First off, if you wish to suggest a name, please also provide the information about that person. E-mail or PM it to me and I can get it up there. The first post in this thread included in the thread was help please, and I can’t dig up the info on everybody. There are a lot of gaps on the list already. If you are cruising the web and dig up some good info on somebody, please PLEASE send it to me.

Second, if you read the first thread, this is not supposed to be a list of everyone who has engraved, or is engraving now. It is supposed to be a list of those who have contributed significantly to the art. I never intended this to be a competing list with the FEGA historical data compiled and faithfully added to by Bob Evans for the last 20 years.

But on the other hand, it is difficult to weed through the requests, and in some cases tell someone you like, that I don’t really think the qualify. And for a lot of new engravers, maybe the only “real” engravers they know are the ones in their backyard, no matter how insignificant they are in the overall picture, and so yes, maybe it should be a list of everybody. Maybe I should put the names of the “Significant Contributers” in bold, or red or maybe Old English font. Any thoughts , ideas or suggestion on how to proceed would be appreciated.

tolesh

Roger, Just unfortunately has past on a few years back. I have a beautiful 16ga that he engraved in the 1950s.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Scott

Yes, a general directory is a very good idea.

To limit it to those that have "who have contributed significantly to the art" is somewhat subjective and debatable. Significant by whose standards? You would have to lay down some very strict criteria for that. The criteria that you have at the moment on your initial post is far too subjective and broad.

What exactly what do you mean by making a contribution? You also get into the area of an engraver may be world class, but have they made any contribution to the art other than being good at what they do??................... Likewise you can also get a relatively poor engravers that had a huge influence on others who became better than them............There is quite a distinction between the categories.

You are also going to run into problems in the area of how well known are they. Until the internet came along we were limited to books, periodicals and magazines and some of them were of dubious quality by today's standards. So you may have a relatively unknown engraver in America that played a significant part in developing the art in their native country who in turn influenced other engravers that emigrated to America (or other countries). Engravers used to be a secretive lot.............and in some parts of the world still are.

By having an open directory you circumnavigate all those issues.

You may also want to consider making the list country by country, category by category. Otherwise as the list grows you are going to end up with a list of names that becomes useless to research without some sort of cross referencing and indexing. It is a massive undertaking.

Reading through the list of names in the last few pages I would say that 99% of them have not contributed significantly to the engraving arts...............but that is my own personal opinion...................and that is where the fun begins because others will totally disagree with me.................and so they should!!! :)

At the end of the day, there are very few people that really contribute significantly to anything, regardless of the subject. There are certain milestones/people that come along in a generation and have a huge influence because they create something, or an idea that is so extraordinary that people sit up and take notice. The rest are watered down copies that emulate but not really contribute or add anything significant to the subject............but they are very good at what they do.

It also strikes me that you are basically heading down the same road as Bob Evans and simply doubling up on the work. He has done a massive amount of research and perhaps you would be better off contacting him and trying to get something going for web based publishing under the FEGA banner. I'm sure he would appreciate the help.

Well, that's my thoughts on it.

Cheers
Andrew

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
I see Andrews point, but, theses people are all making history wether we know it or not. The fellows who use to make muzzleloaders, wether they made one or a thousand, were lost because no one bothered to account for them, even though they contributed in some manner along the way. Thats my 3 cents worth.

Latest posts

Sponsors