Help, please: New at engraving , need help getting started with a small budget.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I disagree TT.
Quality tools make the job easier and better. Also one purchase if quality is a better investment. Save your funds and get the best. They will last several lifetimes

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tundratrekers: I knew and studied with Lynton McKenzie and he insisted on two things, one being a stereo microscope and the other being a specialized vise that kept the work centered under the microscope. Back then we built our own floor mounted vises and even our own microscope stands. Later on Lynton came up with a turntable arrangement which is probably the predecessor of what many of us use today. He was going to build me one but died before it could be finished.

If Lynton were reading this thread today he would undoubtedly advise getting a good vise and microscope. Of course this would be in addition to a few square gravers, two sets of flat gravers (36 through 42), a whetstone, and an assortment of rapid breakdown stones from Gesswein. Oh, and a chasing hammer. That was pretty much his bare bones setup for gun engraving.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
IMHO the Lindsay Template system is best for a beginner who's on his own. Yes, you're limited to just the points you have templates for but it's fairly hard to mess up using it.

The Dual Angle fixture is infinitely flexible but it can be quite tricky to figure out on your own. If you have someone to show you in person it's simple to use. Figuring out how to make a particular point can be a challenge sometimes, but things like Sam's tutorial on making a 120 will get you going with a good set of basic points.

jzknives

STOP BUYING TOOLS !!!!!!!

Get Lynton McKenzie Beginning Engraving DVD,from Brownells.
He will SHOW you everything you need to do it all your self,CHEAP !!!!!.
michael
60 dollars for a dvd is not cheap in my opinion.

Are there any similar youtube videos that deal with beginning engraving with hand engraver and chisels?

mrthe

You have to considere an instructional DVD like take a master class that you can watch ever and ever all the time that you want,i have several DVD because i can't take classes where i living ,and from my point of view is a very good investment like tools ;)

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Tundratrekers: I knew and studied with Lynton McKenzie and he insisted on two things, one being a stereo microscope and the other being a specialized vise that kept the work centered under the microscope. Back then we built our own floor mounted vises and even our own microscope stands. Later on Lynton came up with a turntable arrangement which is probably the predecessor of what many of us use today. He was going to build me one but died before it could be finished.

If Lynton were reading this thread today he would undoubtedly advise getting a good vise and microscope. Of course this would be in addition to a few square gravers, two sets of flat gravers (36 through 42), a whetstone, and an assortment of rapid breakdown stones from Gesswein. Oh, and a chasing hammer. That was pretty much his bare bones setup for gun engraving.

Sam can you link which stones you mention above? Are they the Ceramic superstones??? I am always looking for better ways to polish and smooth my designs...

Donny

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been using these stones now for quite some time. They are fantastic! I keep a bunch of them soaking in a jar of oil right next to my bench. I find I'm using them all the time for both jewelry making and engraving purposes.

They are very easy to shape to your specific needs and you virtually cannot gouge the piece you are working on. Whereas rotary abrasives and others you have to be very careful so as to not cause a wavy or gouged surface.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Are there any similar youtube videos that deal with beginning engraving with hand engraver and chisels?

for what you get, and the time, trouble, & brain damage it will save you, sixty bucks for this- or a comparable video, is the cheapest thing you'll ever buy. unless, of course, you value your time @ $0.00/hr. then by all means, flail away in the dark for as long as you want. on a less sarcastic note, if you're really down to not being able to afford $60 for good, solid, basic instructional materials, then engraving is not for you. it is unavoidably a fairly tool-intensive craft by nature (unless you want to stick with very basic techniques). you may be happier with a simpler hobby.

jzknives

for what you get, and the time, trouble, & brain damage it will save you, sixty bucks for this- or a comparable video, is the cheapest thing you'll ever buy. unless, of course, you value your time @ $0.00/hr. then by all means, flail away in the dark for as long as you want. on a less sarcastic note, if you're really down to not being able to afford $60 for good, solid, basic instructional materials, then engraving is not for you. it is unavoidably a fairly tool-intensive craft by nature (unless you want to stick with very basic techniques). you may be happier with a simpler hobby.
I understand. I'm just asking if anybody has some good links to some YouTube tutorials that are similar

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

I'm sorry? I don't believe what I'm starting to read in this thread. You have been given countless tips on how to start engraving on a budget. Despite being told NOT to get a Crocker sharpener you still go ahead and waste your money on one. Okay, we let this go despite Sam GIVING YOU a pointer to his FREE You Tube video on how to hand sharpen. Every step of the way you've asked for a link to this or a link to that and we've let it go and given you links. What is it, can't you be bothered to look this stuff up yourself? It's all there, and not at all difficult to find.

Now I think you really are taking the ****. The guys that take the time to make these instructional videos, books, and other teaching aids DO NOT GET RICH FROM IT! It takes a lot of time and effort on their part and they are sharing information for what (let's face it) isn't a lot of money. And it's not ordinary information or entertainment, its info that, if used correctly, can make you money.

I'm sorry, but you are coming across as someone that doesn't want to spend ANY money and can't even be bothered to do basic research but want others to guide you every step of the way. Engraving takes a lot of dedication and some money to get started if you want to make a decent go of it. If $60 is expensive then there is no chance of you taking a class. You don't even know whether the marks made by a graver are cuts or scratches! So how exactly do you intend to learn this new skill?

I might sound harsh but you're not being willing even to part with $60 or something that could potentially answer a lot of your questions and put you on the right track engraving wise has lost you all credibility in my book.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's my take on instructional videos...and I buy them as well as produce them. If I need to know how to fix a leaky faucet I can usually find a YouTube video in short order. If it's something like video editing, portrait lighting, or software training, I gladly pay for instructional videos that are professionally produced. The reason is because it might take me forever to wade through dozens of YouTube videos looking for something specific. If I subscribe to Lynda.com I have instant access to the information I need when I need it, and I don't have to waste my time digging for it. If you have unlimited time then by all means search the 'Tube and you may find what you're looking for.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well said Marcus.
Engraving is not a cheap endeavor ,the tools are expensive and the time required to practice is hundreds if not thousands of hours. This not a trade or art that is learned over night, or buying the latest and best tools,tools ,time,and dedication are required and there are no short cuts.
The new airgraver tools will cut the learning curve but you still have to invest the time at the bench

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Give the guy a break. Sometimes folks are on a very tight budget. I started engraving in the middle of a series of neck surgeries as a way to occupy my mind on something other than my neck. My mail box was full of Doctor and Hospital bills I couldn't afford to pay and I was needing to make regular 270 mile trips to Billings to see my Docs. Often we'd drive down and back to avoid needing a Motel room. Sometimes we had to stay for more test or to see another Doc $$$$$$$. Long story short I didn't have $6 more less $60 to spend on "videos". No way I could afford lessons or the travel for them or fancy tools.

I was able to get the Meeks book on inter-library loan and I made my first tool out of a broken cobalt drill bit and used a Harbor Freight plastic Magnifying Visor. It was a long learning curve but I came to love push graving and hand sharpening. All my tools fit in cigar box and cost nothing, nadda, zip. I sharpen on a Arkansas stone I found collecting dust up in the shop. I welded up a carving stand out of scrap metal. It helps that I live in junkyard and have the scrap and welding setup and that I consider building things my main hobby.

Push graving is great hobby if your willing to give your time.

I am glad I rounded up a true Optivisor and I do buy silver to carve these days.

I like the wood carving crowd as they are much less likely to insist that you spend big bucks on tools and lessons. Some of you have way to much money to spend and have lost the perspective of being frugal/poor. We have huge opportunity surrounding us and all we need is a bit of ambition to tap it's potential. Money is optional.

John

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
People learning today are spoiled and lazy. They want it fast and easy and they finance on a whim. John, your neck must have been bad.
For those of you that don't know, John engraves with one arm. That's right, he doesn't have two. So put that in your pocket you bunch of spoiled little babies.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
It's an old tradition. After the U.S. Civil war many amputees were re-trained as engravers. The ones that weren't cut out to run a brothel.

I lost my arm a long time ago and I haven't consider that a factor in what I do or how I do in a almost as long. A bad neck on the other hand (pun intended) really crimps a guys style.

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With respect John, the difference is that I don't remember you coming on here and asking loads questions and going on about not wanting to spend any money. You just got on with it and found your own way through hard graft, and I respect someone like you. You didn't want it all laid out on a plate for you.

The internet is a fantastic tool and never in the history of the planet has so much freely shared information been out there. But there is a downside in that everyone expects stuff for free now. Why should someone who has a huge amount of experience to share not make some money from that knowledge, music or film? Why do some people feel entitled to that information when they've done nothing whatsoever to earn it or feel that they have the right to pirate movies or music? Some things just aren't for nothing. If you want it you've got to pay, either financially or in time.

Many years ago we talked about somebody starting a forum for engravers when we were at a Grand Master's weekend at GRS/Glendo. The important thing was that information would be shared and everyone agreed this would be a great thing. Sam came away from that meeting and started the forum at his own expense and time. And during the time the forum has been open a huge amount of information has been willing shared and a lot has been "gifted" from professional engravers for the good of the craft and to educate those who are interested as to what makes good engraving.

This often means time away from the bench and remember, none of these guys actually have to share a thing. They give because they want to. But there is a limit, and it's happened before in the past. When someone shows they are really passionate and are determined to give it a go it's fine. Efforts are rewarded through forum feedback and critique. But when someone starts 'milking' info, giving nothing back, ignore recommendations and then complain about the cost of a dvd it starts to stick in my throat. Sorry, but that's how it is to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors